looking for doug's script for itunes.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by djsound, Jul 24, 2012.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

My folders for each album do not match the name of the playlist for each in itunes. Does anyone know of a applescript to change the folder names to that of each itunes playlist that they are in? thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've done quite a lot of work with Doug's scripts and I don't recall seeing one that renames folders. Also, I'm not sure what you're trying to do. You want to change the name of the folder to match all of the playlists where that album appears? That could be a ridiculously long name, and you'd have to constantly change the name as you add or remove the album or its tracks from various playlists. I have the tracks for each album in a folder named to match the album's name.

3. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Exactly. All your folders are named properly. Mine are not ...but my playlists are. I just want to drag a folder of music (usually an album) into iTunes. It then creates a playlist named after whatever the folder is named. But now I have like 60 playlists that I have correctly named (in iTunes) but the folders are still weird names. The same as you can rename a file from the iTunes description, it would be nice to rename the folder from playlist...

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You have a playlist for each album? That could be a lot of playlists! What is your method of naming and organization?

Look to see if this might do what you want: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/2012/06/new-export-files-to-folder/
    This may also help: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=tracksalbumtoplaylist

5. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Well I know haha...see this is my father's computer and he won't be around music longer so I am getting all of his playlists to a backup drive. 60 playlists might seem like a a lot of work but if you are just dragging 60 folders in and the name works fine then it is not a lot of work at all. Myself, I have like 5 folders, Rock, Pop, Dance whatever...

6. mike457, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

mike457 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure that I quite understand what you want to do. iTunes names its folders according to the name of the artist for the album. If the album has more than one artist, iTunes puts the album in a folder called "Compilations" named after the album title. If you change the titles for the folders outside of iTunes, iTunes will not be able to find the tracks. You would have to change each group of tracks manually to point to the correct location, and if you ever rashly hit "library-Organize Library," they're all going to change back.

It sounds as if what you need to do is to change the names of artists to match the names of the playlists. Doug does have a called "This Tag - That Tag" which would allow you to swap one entry in metadata for another, such as the artist tag for the album tag, though it doesn't let you swap for a playlist name. If you were to select all the tracks that you want to have in one folder and change the artist name to correspond to the playlist name, your folders would be the way you want. though you lose the artist name.

Alternatively, if you were to copy the files to the computer to a folder that has the name you want, then add them to iTunes (first making sure that the preferences options for "Keep iTunes Media folder organised" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" are turned off), you would get the result you want.

7. djsound, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Try this if you have a folder of music called "test music" with a few mp3's in it or whatever. Now just drag that folder from finder to the playlist sidebar of iTunes. It creates a playlist with all included music (which is hand)....but look at the name. It is "test Music"....now if you have 60 playlists like that Id HATE to have to manually rename each one when the including folders are all fine...it's very simple.

"rename finder folder to playlist name" or something..

It's not a big deal. It's just one of this OCD events..

8. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Why not drag the folder into the Library section of the iTunes left panel instead of the Playlist section? That way you would not get a playlist created for every album you "import".