Looking for earbuds, for student.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Nishi100, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

My earbuds for my iPhone (and iPad) stopped working (after I jumped into a swimming pool - I took out my iPhone from my pocket, and usually the earphones are connect to them - but this time they weren't).

So, I'm looking to buy some new earbuds, which are small and have good noise cancellation, as I go via train. A mic and volume control aren't necessary, but I would prefer them.

I tried MRoogle, but it appears to be down.

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I find my skullcandy smokin buds with mic are more than ample.

3. iApache macrumors 6502

iApache

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

5. gokart mozart macrumors 6502

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Simple.

Decide on how much your willing to spend and stick to it.

Then look for the best value in your price bracket.

7. iApache macrumors 6502

iApache

8. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry that I haven't posted in a while.

I would like to get them a cheap as possible, but £40 (British pound).

skullcandy smokin buds with mic
    These looked pretty good; however, when I looked at the Amazon black models, some reviews said they stopped working, or the cable a the bottom became loose.

a-jays 4 I'm not so sure on the 'L-shape' - how is it when you put it in a jeans pocket - do you have to bend it forcefully?

Are there any other earphones with the same features (and style) as the A-jay, but without the 'L-shape.'?

9. gokart mozart macrumors 6502

The L shape design is actually a good thing. It will prolong the integrity of the cable connection. It won't snag on your jeans so long as you're mindful that the l shape is running parallel to the edge of your iphone/ipod as you pocket it. This is so easy to do with your fingers that you can do it blindfolded.

Your real concern with A Jays should be the weight of the flat cable. Some users find that it causes the earbuds to easily come out of your ears.

Skullcandies are honestly not the best in the world, but they are by no means terrible for what you're paying. If you don't mind the sound quality of the Skulls, then I recommend the FMJ.

http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Line-S2FMCY-015-white-rubberized/dp/B003CVQ9YK

Many people who lose sound on their skullcandies do so by either damaging the cable (over stressing or stretching the connection points) or by blowing out the bass in the left bud (playing hip hop or metal too loud).

10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Well I've had no issues with the smokin buds with mic I'm using. The cloth cord stops interference with the antenna band. The full metal jacket type clash and I ended up with a hum/buzz Shen making/ taking a call ! This has been documented on the net so I know it was not just a faulty set.

L shaped jacks are fine but can clash with some bumpers and cases.

I also use monster turbines which are awesome but did cost £120 !

11. gokart mozart macrumors 6502

SC probably fixed the metal interference by rubberizing the cords, in the past year or so, which also happen to be nylon (so I'm not sure how this interference issue came about, seeing how its the same nylon cord design from the smoking buds, not that I've seen anything about this. Only metal on the FMJ is on the buds themselves). I believe the actual reason for rubberizing the cords (which I hear they're doing with all their lines) was to prevent the nylon sheath from unraveling due to heavy daily usage and the fraying that would naturally occur. Also, a case or bumper would prevent any interference with the antennae, assuming the bumper isn't metal also.

But yes, L shapes can be an issue with some cases and bumpers. It really depends on the thickness of said case/bumper. My CapsuleRebel hasn't given me any issues. Something like the Apple Bumper likely would, though, since the cutout is a little bit snugger.

12. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I purchased the sc fmj's a month ago from new stock and had this issue along with the mic buttons not workin as they should. The guy opened another set and I got the same. My phone was naked too.

On the skullcandy forum people were still having comparability issues.

I don't disbelieve I can only go on what my experience was with two brand new earphones. It's a shame because the music playback thro them was good. It was just the quality of an incoming or outgoing call and that the mic buttons were hit and miss.

13. yrrej macrumors regular

be careful there's a lot of fake beats headphones out there. with his poorly worded sales pitch and a username like hustler things don't look so genuine..

14. chr macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Klipsch S4s are the best sounding for under $100.

This isn't opinion, it's a fact.

15. iApache macrumors 6502

iApache

I can vouch for this + comply tx- foamtips.

It also comes with a nice tin case, so u can put them away in your bag or somethin'