Looking for Earphones

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by in0va3, Oct 21, 2010.

1. in0va3 macrumors member

I've been looking for a pair of decent eardphones for my iPhone 4 but theres just so many I just can't make a decision. I'm interested in headphones that are around $100 like the Bose MIE2i, Beats by Dr. Dre Tour (this one is about the most I would pay for), or the V-Moda Vibrato. Anyone have suggestions to another headphones that are better in quality + durability or to say which one is better?

2. mrwinky macrumors member

I picked up the Klipsch s4i image here aweek ago, I think there fantastic, as for build I only had them a week. But if you do a search on them, the do seem to get 4+ out of 5 stars in most reviews, and I believe there $100 US...

WInky

3. Macmar88 macrumors member

Well Ive been using the Diddy Beats. I absolutely love them I originally wanted the tours but they didn't have the ones with the mic at my Best Buy. I guess people say they are all about hype but they aren't..

4. in0va3 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Oh yeah forgot to add that a remote control for playback and volume would be better. Ive seen the Diddy Beats before but only focused more onto the Tours since they're so popular so I'll check it out later. Also, some people say that Monster's earphones are usually overpriced and a lot of problems with earphones are that the wire always breaks or I've seen Bose's rubber cable rubs off like an eraser!

5. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I have the Beats by Dr. Dre Tours w/ ControlTalk. Personally, I love them. The sound quality is great (bass!), and yes, you are paying extra for a name-brand, but I'd say they're worth it.

My first pair did break after 9 months of use, but the headphones do come with a 3 year warranty. I had a brand new pair in my hands from Monster Customer Service less than a week later.

I'm also thinking of picking up the PowerBeats that just came out so I can have quality headphones at the gym.:D

6. NYDiplomat macrumors regular

So far a have the powerbeats for the gym. I've had it for a week and they've been great. Now I'm waiting for the new bose in ear headphones made for apple products and a noise canceling over the ear headphones.

7. in0va3 thread starter macrumors member

I'm looking at the Shure SE315 for now. It looks really nice but seems like it isn't sold in many places like Best Buy.

And BB or Amazon doesn't sell the Beats with Control Talk. Good thing it's only $150 unlike the $190 full price in monstercable.com (it's even sold out).

So the main earphones I'm looking at are the Bose MIE2i and Monster Beats Tour by Dr. Dre. Is the Beats really large cause it sure looks like it.

What do you think?

8. iTechDude21 macrumors newbie

iTechDude21

V-Moda all the way

V-Moda earphones are the best for the price. I've also tried the Lentekk Sonix 3's and they are really nice. You may also want to look into the ThinkSound earphones, they have really good booming base.

9. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

im a big Shure fan. I have a pair of SE530s myself. I bought the ihone cord to go with it so it has a button and a mic. Im hoping they come out with a iphone 4 version with the volume rocker.

I absolutely love my shures, great fit (modded the tri-flange to a bi-flange and trimmed them) and great sound (3 drivers).

10. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

V-Modas are ok, but I love my Ink'd. Or, you could get Klipsch S4. Highest review on cNet.

11. in0va3 thread starter macrumors member

I just looked at the Klipsch S4i and they seem really great with all those good reviews! Too bad it's not available in my Best Buy. Only the Tours are $150 in Best Buy. Also, I'm still waiting for the MIE2i...

12. svindal1 macrumors newbie

I have a problem with most in-ear headsets they fall out way easily, just by walking normally and moving my head :(

I have the v-modas, they fall out. My friend has the Beats by Dre, falls out even easier. Is the Klipsch S4i for me? Or any other suggestions that might fit me?

Thanks!

13. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

14. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Isn't the difference between S4 and S4i the S4i has a mic? Order online?
    You might just be using too small of a size earbud.

15. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

I recently purchased the Klipsch S4 and am very happy with them. They have a geat sound and fit in my ears very well.

I typically go running 3-4 times a week and most earphones I have had would fall out at least 3 or 4 times during my run, I also would get a lot of microphonics with the cable moving around. With the S4, I no longer have these issues.

I found the below website very helpful in chosing a set of earphones suitable for my needs.

http://www.touchmyapps.com/2009/07/...one-in-review-budget-price-millionaire-build/

16. in0va3 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I was just thinking that it would be easier for me to get it from best buy than online if i want to return it or anything.

So i guess my list comes down to klipsch s4i or bose mie2i. What do you say about them?

17. in0va3 thread starter macrumors member

This is what ive been thinking:

I never tried the mie2i but i tried the ie2 in a bose dealer. It sounded moderate since the earphones were a bit loose and didnt go into the ear so i couldnt hear it without noise from outside.

I never heard of klipsch before so i dont know anything abiut it except seeing the reviees saying theyre better than an average $100 pair of earphones. The earphones also lookna bit cheap but i never saw it before.

The monster earphones or those dr. Dre tour earphones seem to be all about artists and all the website says are that theyre great with advanced material with no specs at all so it leads me to believe that monster headphones are all about hype ajd exaggeration like "in ear speakers".

18. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

The Monster Turbine are not bad at all. If you can get them for $100 or less then they are worth their price.

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Monster isn't that hyped. I'd personally go with Bose. All in ear headphones come with extra tips so you can get the best fit. The default tips on display models won't fit everyone. The Dr. Dre Tour earbuds are pretty good in both quality of construction and audio. If you want something cheaper, try the Jays a-JAYS Three or Two. I'd avoid Best Buy and pretty much any retail store because Best Buy is complete crap to me. Poor customer service, biased employees, dumb employees, taxes and limited product selection. Retail stores also charge tax which can sometimes be a lot of money depending on what you're buying. Check out products in retail stores and buy them online. Amazon almost always has cheaper prices, no tax and free shipping.

20. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I don't think I would recommend the beats. the jack and cords are nice but the build quality is only so so. got the wife the beats solo and they broke in half in less then two months. Plus she said they were not as good as some of the lesser ones she has owned.

21. iMarcos macrumors newbie

iMarcos

Bose are either love it or hate it.
    They are considered overpriced and overhyped by many. But then again, some people do love them.

Personally, I prefer the Klipsch by quite of a margin. High quality headphones, at a good price.

22. oBMTo macrumors 6502

The S4i fit great for me. Most reviews remark how great they fit.

23. alent1234 macrumors 603

i've used a few sets of sennheiser big headphones they bought me at work and now have a $10 paid of in ear phone i bought at a drug store because the expensive ones broke. they are about the same.

my wife wanted beats and i've read the big out of ear ones are noise canceling which is whey they are so good. but you can probably find a set for a lot less from another off brand that sound the same.

Monster is just a brand name. all their stuff is made by little kids chained to their desks just like everybody else's stuff. only idiots buy Monster stuff instead of the $5 HDMI cable on ebay which is the same thing

24. in0va3 thread starter macrumors member

i remembered seeing the monster turbine $100 at amazon. so is it worth it or was it only $180 full price because it's a brand-name? how does it compare to klipsch s4?

25. in0va3 thread starter macrumors member

I'm really deciding between the Klipsch S4i ($100) and the Monster Turbine ($100) now and will purchase one of them soon. I don't see much bad reviews on both of them except of having too much bass for the Turbine.