Looking for easier way to transfer iTunes to new MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Stang, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Stang macrumors member

Right now I have a white MB from '06 (still in fantastic condition) that's pretty much always connected to a 2TB hard drive, which holds all my iTunes media - 50k songs, 30+ movies, about 50 episodes of TV, not to mention all my other media NOT on iTunes.

In a few days I'll be getting a 13" MBP. I'm not concerned transferring all my documents and pictures to the new mac, but I am concerned with having to re-setup my iTunes library. Is there a way where I can move preference files and the iTunes library list to the new MBP without having to start from scratch and basically drag everything into iTunes and wait 6 hours? Thanks for the help

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Before launching iTunes for the first time, move all iTunes files to /user/Music/iTunes. It should recognize them (not 100% but worth a try)

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If your library is consolidated i.e. all your files are contained in your library and not strewn around on your laptop as well. You shouldnt have to do anything if they are on an external drive. Just make sure you have the latest version of iTunes (or at least the same as on your old mac) then when you get your new laptop. hold down 'option/alt' when you first start up iTunes. Navigate to your iTunes library on your external and it will load in without you having to do anything.