Looking for either an iMac or Mac Mini....

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
So I've been a PC user my entire life & looking into buying my 1st Mac. I think the motherboard burned out in my most recent PC due to leaving it on all the time for Plex.

So my question is, what would be a better machine to purchase if I leave it constantly running ? I know Mac Mini's consume less power, but I'd like to avoid burning out another motherboard. I also know that a simple solution is to turn it off or put the machine to Sleep once in a while, but is there an app I can use to wake either machine remotely when I want to use Plex ?

Also, do I need a higher end processor In either machine for my usage ? A I do is general web browsing, downloading, & convert videos w/ Handbrake. MAYBE some games down the road too. Thanks & I appreciate the responses

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So I've been a PC user my entire life & looking into buying my 1st Mac. I think the motherboard burned out in my most recent PC due to leaving it on all the time for Plex.

So my question is, what would be a better machine to purchase if I leave it constantly running ? I know Mac Mini's consume less power, but I'd like to avoid burning out another motherboard. I also know that a simple solution is to turn it off or put the machine to Sleep once in a while, but is there an app I can use to wake either machine remotely when I want to use Plex ?
You can leave either an iMac or Mac mini running 24/7 for many months without issues. It won't affect the logic board.

I have the Plex Media Server running on a Mac mini that never sleeps, as well as the Plex Home Theater. I can control the player remotely, using the Plex iOS app.

Any Mac model made in recent years can easily handle your proposed workload.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I've never heard of a motherboard burning up simply due to being left on. Sounds like a cooling problem to me.

That being said, I have had a number of Macs and I rarely, if ever, turn them off. No issues.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
Well yes something burned out, not sure what. I did try replacing the power supply but no dice. Plus the fans were pretty clogged w/ dust.