Looking for either an iMac or Mac Mini....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scapegoat81, Feb 23, 2015.

1. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

So I've been a PC user my entire life & looking into buying my 1st Mac. I think the motherboard burned out in my most recent PC due to leaving it on all the time for Plex.

So my question is, what would be a better machine to purchase if I leave it constantly running ? I know Mac Mini's consume less power, but I'd like to avoid burning out another motherboard. I also know that a simple solution is to turn it off or put the machine to Sleep once in a while, but is there an app I can use to wake either machine remotely when I want to use Plex ?

Also, do I need a higher end processor In either machine for my usage ? A I do is general web browsing, downloading, & convert videos w/ Handbrake. MAYBE some games down the road too. Thanks & I appreciate the responses

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can leave either an iMac or Mac mini running 24/7 for many months without issues. It won't affect the logic board.

I have the Plex Media Server running on a Mac mini that never sleeps, as well as the Plex Home Theater. I can control the player remotely, using the Plex iOS app.

Any Mac model made in recent years can easily handle your proposed workload.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I've never heard of a motherboard burning up simply due to being left on. Sounds like a cooling problem to me.

That being said, I have had a number of Macs and I rarely, if ever, turn them off. No issues.

4. scapegoat81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

Well yes something burned out, not sure what. I did try replacing the power supply but no dice. Plus the fans were pretty clogged w/ dust.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Need to keep the machine clean, including the fans. Even a Mac can fry under such conditions.

6. Dsching Suspended

Dsching

For handbrake I'd recommend the 2012 i7 Mac Mini.