Looking for elegant project management software!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by michaelrjohnson, Mar 4, 2010.

1. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Graphic/Web Designer seeks elegant, simple, yet robust project management application.

So after months of off/on searching the web (macrumors, iusethis, etc) I've previewed nearly everything remotely related, but what I am looking for just doesn't seem to exist! Here's some background:

• I use Billings to track my time, invoices, etc. It's a beautiful program, that *functions* as good as it looks. But it doesn't really "manage" projects.
    • I use The Hit List for tasks, but again, it has no timeline. It's perfect for personal use, but not what I need for professional use.
    • There's OmniPlan, but that's got a lot of overhead, just to get a timeline (gantt chart) which is one feature I'm really looking for.
    • Then there's Schoolhouse. It's designed for coursework, but has a lot of the features needed for a basic project management tool, not to mention a well-designed UI.

Billings and The Hit List both manage deadlines, but don't handle the process. OmniPlan handles everything, but is far too complex for a one-man shop, and doesn't integrate with my existing services. Schoolhouse manages simple small projects, but despite it's nice UI and ideal scope, it's not designed to manage professional projects.

I suppose I'm searching for a project management application that is easy-to-use, has a well-designed (and Mac-like) interface, and has a smaller scope than OmniPlan.

Does anyone know if the above exists, or if it's just a pipe dream? What have you used?

2. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

I didn't feel the need to explicitly mention that I've already searched the forum, because it falls under my statement of:

None of them quite suit my needs! Thanks for the suggestions, though.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unless they say otherwise, one never knows if someone found the threads that may apply. Good luck in your search!

4. Examinus macrumors member

Have you tried Things? It's pretty pricey, but I've found it's good for keeping track of things and allows you to create projects (it also has an iPhone app). Very nice.

http://culturedcode.com/things/

5. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, I have. It's pretty similar to The Hit List, which I own.

Both great apps, but aren't structured to efficiently allow the creation of a project "object" (my own term) and plot completion steps on a timeline (a Gantt chart).

Thanks for the suggestion!

6. juliainor macrumors member

Have you tried Merlin? I use it and like it quite a bit. It's feature rich like OmniPlan, though I find it a lot more user-friendly, so it may be more than you're looking for, but I thought I'd at least throw it out there.
    Merlin

7. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I'm surprised you say that OmniPlan is overkill.

I'm considering Merlin ($210; 41MB), OmniPlan ($150; 12MB), and SharedPlan ($100; 13MB) and just looking at all quickly, OmniPlan looks like it could be the easiest Gantt-based Mac project management tool. It's also the smallest program, suggesting it suffers least from feature bloat.

Would love to hear other opinions. :)

8. pokeyjoe macrumors newbie