Looking for External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Goohfy, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

Ok, atm I own a Dell Inspiron 1545, running Windows 7. I'm thinking about upgrading to a Mac during the Summer or whenever the next refresh is, but I need an external hard drive that I can back up my files with to wipe my Pc for now. Are there any out there right now under 100 bucks that can back up my files, it's running 64 bit now, but I'll run 32 after I back it up, please help me out.

2. simsaladimbamba

Any external HDD will work, they can be had for 30 to ... USD.
    It doesn't matter, if the OS is 64- or 32-bit. Seagate and Western Digital HDDs are quite good.
    If you want to switch to Mac OS X later, make sure to read through the following about file systems.

3. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

I'm just a bit confused about the info about the systems you posted.

4. simsaladimbamba

Mac OS X and Windows have file systems they use to store their data on HDDs. Mac OS X uses HFS+, which can't be read or written to by Windows, and Windows uses NTFS, which can only be read by Mac OS X.
    But there are ways to let Windows read and write to HFS+ formatted volumes, and Mac OS X write to NTFS formatted volumes. The post about file systems tells you how.

5. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Ok, so I can allow a future Macbook to read the HDD if I bought one for Windows.

6. simsaladimbamba

Yes, but there is no need to buy an HDD specifically made for one OS, as every OS (Windows and Mac OS X ate least) allow you to format HDDs as you like.

7. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I don't know if they still have this but I bought a 2 TB Seagate external drive for $99 at Costco not too long ago.

8. fineaddme macrumors regular

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

10. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Yeah, I was actually lookin at the sales on best buy but if amazon has a better price ill go for it, thx.

11. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

12. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I don't like the design of the new Seagates. I have an older one with the different form factor that I like. The new ones are too boxy with corners in my opinion. The drives inside (IMHO) are about on equal footing. The WD from the Amazon has the added benefit of future-proofing with the included USB 3.0 capability.

13. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Ok, I'll head over to Bestbuy soon and pick it up, and it will convert smoothly to a mac external hard drive, if I get one later this year ?

14. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yep, sure will. Most of them come formatted as NTFS these days. Just pop up disk utility and format it is HFS+ and you'll be all set.

15. davidinva macrumors 6502a

I have had good luck with WD Elements, not WD Essentials. Don't know what the difference is, but reviews are more negative on Essentials than Elements. I bought a 500 GB portable from Target for $49.99 on sale. Waiting for that price again, to buy another or find a sale on a 1 TB. I prefer portables to stick in my laptop case when away from home.

16. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Well, I'm gonna go to Bestbuy and check the prices.

17. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

18. blevins321 macrumors 68030

One important distinction to make - do you want a portable drive or a desktop drive? Desktop gives you more storage space for less money, but are physically much larger and require an AC adapter. The portable ones are a bit more pricy for the larger sizes but are usually powered by USB only.

19. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Oh yeah, I completely forgot, I need a portable hard drive, so count that one out, I'm lookin' around eBay and Bestbuy, I'll let you know if I find one, but if you find any around for a cheap price 500 GB post it up for me if you can :) .

20. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Here is a WD 500gb for $61.

21. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Ok, thx a lot I'll order one soon.

22. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

23. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

And you guys believe that the hard drive is an essential for everyday browsing and such, even if I'm not working with programs such as Photoshop, and it may help speed up my dang Dell ? :p