Looking for Factory Unlocked iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leons, Apr 17, 2011.

1. leons macrumors 6502

I'm going to China in a couple of weeks and I have a friend who wants me to buy/bring him a factory unlocked Iphone 4. Does anyone have any guidance or advice on where to get one reliably at a decent price?

2. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

If you're in the US, you can't buy one that's unlocked.

You could:
    • Buy one off contract but still locked to AT&T and then get it remotely (factory) unlocked (add ~$175 to retail price)
    • Try and score one on ebay, but this method is something you should try at your own risk. Also, at this point in time, I'm sure a lot of these people are unlocking it via the IMEI method and selling at inflated prices.
    • If you can somehow make it to Canada, you can buy one unlocked at an Apple store there.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or have him buy a factory unlocked one in china.

4. leons thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I guess the reason he's asking is that their even more expensive in China. I wonder if I bought him a 'full retail' locked one if he could get it unlocked there. Seems they can do everything there. Any other ideas?

5. macse30 macrumors regular

macse30

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He could get a gevey turbosim to unlock or try those unlocking sites that charge $180.

7. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

$549

8. macse30 macrumors regular

macse30

Really? What memory? I'll be up that way soon. I passed on i4 because 3GS was just fine and my contract wouldnt upgrade, but if we aren't getting 5 in June, I might sell 3GS, buy 4 unlocked, wait for 5 and new contract, then sell 4. Hmmm.

9. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Shame your not in the U.K, you can buy them direct from apple unlocked. Only prob is we pay alot more than in the U.S

10. threezero macrumors 6502

Don't know where you got this 16gb is $649.99 not including tax. Tax here in Bc is 12%. So comes to approximate 750$ with tax. Not exactly cheap