Looking for Fan control for iMac that actually works?? :(

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Zeov, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

so, i got fan control for iMac, and it says 0 Celsius.. which is pretty wrong according to my logic, so heres the question:

i've been searching everywhere, but i cant find a fan control that works? the Fan control i have now, i can easily turn the fans on and such, but the celsius says 0, where can i get a fan control that shows how many degrees it actually is?

iMac 27" 2011 base model.

thanks!

2. caughtintheweb macrumors regular

The iStatPro widget displays the temperature. Unless you are an advanced user fan control is not recommended.

3. Zeov thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeov

aight, i got it now, what do you recommend for max temp before i should control the fans higher?

and i wouldn't call myself an advanced user, i just want my iMac to be cooler than it currently is, i cant really screw anything up can i ?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Install iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your temps, among other things.

Your Mac is not overheating. Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). Your temps are most likely well within the normal operating range. You don't need any additional software. Your Mac will take care of itself, without you doing anything.

5. cageo macrumors newbie

I use smc fan control for my MBP. When you can't touch the base of your laptop for fear of being burned (which kind of ruins it's functionality as a "lap" top) I feel a little fan control is justifiable

6. caughtintheweb macrumors regular

I am not an expert here, but I would prefer OS doing its job in controlling fan speed. As far as I know it does a great job with it. If you mac is hot, its fine as its designed to be that way.

7. Zeov thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zeov

yeah i guess you are right :)

8. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Thanks for the iStat link!

Your Mac is fine, don't let all the posts about fans and "overheating" cloud your thoughts.