Looking for feedback on creative edit...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by acearchie, May 7, 2012.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Hi guys,

Had an opportunity to shoot on an Epic on a student production recently and whilst we were serious during the day we couldn't let it sit with nothing todo at night so we shot some Slow Mo footage and I made this little creative edit.

Please be as harsh yet constructive as possible as I am always looking for ways to improve!

https://vimeo.com/41724951

Pass: twistedlove

it's not public as the director doesn't want a sneak peak of the theme getting round to the other students but I doubt any of them are on here!

2. fisha macrumors regular

From a complete outside point of view:

- really dont get the expanding circles and their phased colour change. Its just sooooo out of place with the rest of the footage.

- like the start ... but it could have been cool if done in total darkness and the light of the flame the only source of light ... so the flame comes from total darkness.

- when the girl is smoking the cig and it cuts to a close up of her and back and forth a couple of times. When zoomed out, she is off centre to the right. when zoomed in, she is centre shot ... the 2 shots kind of clash and dont marry. Maybe try having the zoomed in shot with her off centre to the right as well.

- colour was bland. neither saturated or deliberately de-saturated or given a set style.

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Thanks for this.

The circles was out of place. It was literally because I wanted to try out the effect. The video has no purpose and in essence is a testing video for me really.

Nice idea on the opening shot unfortunately those were tests for the actual shot that will be used in the film and therefore we were trying it in similar conditions to what we were shooting but a good idea for next time!

The off centre shots does annoy me but there isn't a way to really correct that as we are already quite tight in on her face and any tighter and we would probably start cropping out too much of the chin or eyes in order to centre. I realised this issue as well though.

In terms of colouring this is something that I aim to get better at. I could have whacked a preset on it but this really was a quick fiddle around in tcp and whack into after effects for a few of the effects. The footage hasn't been touched colour wise and is as it was recorded in the camera. When I get some time in the summer I am going to watch all the Lynda tutorials on Color so I can get to grips with how to make it more exciting. If I had had more time I would have crushed the blacks a bit, probably boosted the contrast, added a vignette and maybe add a coolish colour cast to it.

Thanks for the feedback, it was exactly what I was looking for so I can get to grips with how to improve in the future!

Anymore opinions are more than welcome!