looking for feedback on web app i made

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by twoodcc, Feb 5, 2009.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

lakeflow.org

i made a web app in php for my uncle. i was hoping some of you could check it out and tell me what you think. he thinks he'll end up making money off of it, but we'll see.

basically, you have to register and log-in to really do anything. once you login, you can view the data in a table view, or view the graphs that we have. this is about a lake that has been way down for a while now, and hopefully this will get people together and show them how much water is being let out of the lake.

anyways, please take a look and join if you don't mind, just for testing it out and stuff

thanks in advance

2. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

oh, and as of right now the "forgot password" function does not work. but i'm planning to fix that tomorrow

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

alright, i fixed the "forgot password" link. it will now email you a random password if you click that link (after you give it your username).

i noticed that no one has replied here. i also was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting people to join this? my uncle knows almost nothing about computers, so he needs all the help he can get.

how do you get higher up on the list of google searches?

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Links to your site on other sites and content. With only two pages you will have a tough time.

5. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks. yeah i can see that now. any suggestions on how to get it on other sites? i mean, this isn't a very popular subject online (i don't think), and not sure about where to put it.

6. notnek macrumors 6502

notnek

honestly, i don't feel like signing up for yet another service.

i'm not sure why you need to require a registration (unless it works by users entering data).

i would suggest at least having the information available without having to register and login.

7. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

i agree with you. but it would be much more difficult that way. eventually, a fee might be required to join. but not only that, but we want to see how many people are joining, being able to hear back from them, and have this thing evolve.

granted, you may think that it would easy to change what i already have and take out the registration stuff. but that stuff wasn't easy, and now that i have it working, of course i want to use it.

i know people don't want to join another site, but i can't help that. it's not my fault that every website requires you to join. that's one reason why this one does. it's free to join, and we'll never share your info with anyone. and we will not email you anything unless you forgot your password.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you want us to test it, however, you might consider creating a temporary guest account we can use instead of making us make accounts just to test it....

Just to be clear... are you looking for feedback on the part after you login only, or also the main pages before you log in?

9. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the reply. that is a good idea. i'll do that and get back to you.

i'm looking for feedback on the whole thing, including the pages before you login. thanks

10. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok, for those of you who wouldn't mind checking out the site to give me feedback, the username is "guest" and the password is "guest1". please let me know what you think about it. i know it's not that pretty, but i am no web designer. it does what it's supposed to do (and if it doesn't, please let me know)

thanks

11. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well finally if you search for "lakeflow.org" on google, it's the first thing that comes up. it took over a week to get on the google index, but at least it's finally there.

still hoping to get some feedback though, if anyone gets a chance to look at it.

lakeflow.org

12. memco macrumors 6502

Well, the site works ok. I think it's a bit difficult to use in that I have to know some information beforehand in order to use it. I have no idea what years your data covers so if I try to get a graph for 1831, I'm SOL. Perhaps if there's not a large number, you could put them in a dropdown or just display the range of years available. Also, try and give feedback. If I enter a dates you don't cover in the table view, it does nothing. At the very least, display a message saying results not found if not being more specific (invalid date, no information for the date(s) requested, etc.).

Not horrible things, it's usable for the most part, I think people will be able to get around just fine, and that'll suffice while you continue to make improvements.

13. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the reply! yeah, you are very correct in pointing those things out. this project was clearly not very organized and was hurried - i am about to move and start a new job, so i cannot continue to work on it - someone else will have to take over where i left off.

what did you think about the graphs? i know they look pretty bad. i mean, i basically draw them manually. i have 3 lines drawn together for each line, to make them look more bold.

again, thanks for taking at look at it for me. feedback really helps. one thing i can say after doing this project, i like php.