Looking for game recommendations

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by earthbound, Oct 21, 2013.

1. earthbound macrumors member

Hi guys,

I need your help finding games to play on the PS3, Wii U, or 3DS. I'm looking for games that:

• have good story and characters
    • have no glorified gore/graphic violence
    • don't require level grinding

It's a short list but I'm pretty picky. Story and characters are really important aspects to me. I tend to quit playing a game if I can't bring myself to care about its story or characters. I can't stomach gore, so games like Bioshock Infinite is out, no matter how good it's supposed to be. And as I get older and have less time to play games, I just can't be bothered with level grinding.

Here are a few games that I like to give you an idea:
    • Uncharted series
    • The World Ends With You
    • Fire Emblem: Awakening
    • Kingdom Hearts, except for 358/2 days

Games that I end up abandoning:
    • Shadow of the Colossus. Too lonely, hahah.
    • Ni no Kuni. Requires level grinding. I enjoyed it in the beginning and I think I'm 80% done, but I'm just too tired of the repetitious battles and enemies that respawn so quickly when I backtrack in the dungeons even for a little bit.
    • Assassin's Creed. Too repetitive.

Thank you all in advance!

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    If you've got a PS3, I recommend grabbing Okami HD off the PS Store. I haven't played the HD version specifically, but the old 4:3 version on the PS2 ranks as one of my favorite games of all time.

Great story, lots of exploration, no grinding. It's more a Zelda style game than a JRPG like Ni no Kuni (which I've only played the demo for).

And though it doesn't fit your criteria for no gore/violence, I always recommend Dark Souls to everyone, considering it IS my favorite game ever. It's also the most unforgiving and difficult game you'll ever play, so you probably won't like it. But...the suggestion's out there if you're willing to experiment.

3. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Wonderful 101 is a fantastic title as is Pikmin 3 - both are unique fun experiences that I had a blast with on my Wii U

4. earthbound thread starter macrumors member

@Renzatic: Okami HD looks amazing! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely try that. I kept seeing Dark Souls being recommended, but yeah, super high difficulty and gore may keep me away. For now at least.

@musicpenguy: Thanks for the Wii U titles. I definitely need more Wii U games other than Mario ones.

5. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

Mmm...Shadow of the Colossus HD on the PSN store. Such a great game back on the PS2 days. It's very simplistic but the setting, awesome fights, and the slight puzzle aspect are what made that game for me. I still play it every so often and love it :)

----------

Bahahaha I just read that you didn't like it, so scratch my above post! :D

I'm assuming a lot of the big RPG's are not your taste due to the level grinding usually associated with them correct?

6. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Of course, you didn't mention getting Zelda: Wind Waker HD because you are already planning on getting it, correct?

If not, that is a must-buy...

7. earthbound thread starter macrumors member

Hahahah. Even though I never finished Shadow of the Colossus, I still appreciate the game :) It's a beautiful game and the gameplay is great, but it's so... desolate. I want the main character to have traveling companions or at least meet other human characters when visiting new towns/areas.

I do enjoy RPGs except for the level grinding. Final Fantasy VIII was the first game I ever played. I know some people hate that game but I loved it and have very fond memories of it even now. It's great that FF8's enemies level up with you, so I didn't have to grind. I've started FF9 and FF10 a few years back, which I enjoyed but never felt compelled to finish. And FF12 with the huge never-ending dungeons... yeah, that wasn't very fun for me. I'm interested in trying out a Tales game (Xillia or Graces f), but the prospect of spending hours level grinding to continue the storyline is keeping me away.

I haven't had that much experience with Zelda. 3DS was my first Nintendo console and Ocarina of Time was the first Zelda game I played. For some reason, that game gave me serious headache and nausea even when I turned off the 3D. But playing on a TV screen might be better. I'll look into it. Thanks!

8. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

Have you ever seen the Civilization games on PC? The console game in the series, Civilization Revolutions, is honestly one of my favorite in the entire series. It not as overly complicated as some of its PC counterparts, but its not too too easy. The game plays out differently depending on the choices you make within your civilization so I played it extensivly till Civ5 came out on PC.

9. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

I would highly recommend Wind Waker (check out the Amazon reviews). Set up some "protected time," like a weekend where you have nothing else going on, and let yourself get sucked into the story.

I find that the more games I have to play, the more spread out I get, and the less I enjoy any one game.

With a user-name like "earthbound," I thought you had some previous Nintendo experience. Ocarina of Time is (imo) the best Zelda game, but I would not want to play it for the first time on a small screen. Hopefully there will be a re-mastered OoT soon.

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You might try Ico. It's similar to Shadow of the Colossus but is the game that came before. However you're always with a girl so you'll be less lonely! You might try getting a subscription to Playstation Plus as I think Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are both free for PS+ subscribers. Plus you'll get other free games as time goes on that you can try. If you don't mind playing older games, you'll likely get your $50 or whatever back easily over the year along with trying some games you may have otherwise passed on.

Flower and Journey are very good games on the PS Store also. The Last of Us is good but you said you don't like gore type stuff so I'd skip it. You might consider Heavy Rain or Beyond: Two Souls. They are thrillers at least so may have gore, can't recall if Heavy Rain had gore (if it does it'd be more like CSI I think) and I haven't played Beyond: Two Souls yet.

11. earthbound thread starter macrumors member

@Ov3rlord Falc0r: I actually never looked further into Civilizations because I thought it's only for PC. I'll have to look into it now that I know it's on the PS3 :)

@blesscheese: I just read reviews and watched the trailers for Wind Waker. I'm sold!

@SilentPanda: I've been planning on getting PS+ for some time, and with the holidays coming up soon I'll definitely have more time to play and get my money's worth from the subscription. Ico sounds intriguing and less lonely than Shadow of the Colossus. Adding it and the other games you mentioned to my list! I've been on the fence about getting The Last of Us. It's by Naughty Dog and I love their Uncharted series, so I may have to look past the gore and scary aspects of the game (which I have done with Resident Evil 4 - awesome game! I just had to play it with a friend. And only when it's still light outside).

12. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

I'd like to join my vote for Journey and Flower, they were hands-down the best experiences I've ever had on a video game! About the Last of Us, it is pretty gory, but the way you get attached to the characters is just astounding.