Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
any recommendations? i want one that's fast and reliable. just bought a 1tb usb 2/eSATA external and I heard that eSATA is faster than firewire 800 which my external does not have. So I might be looking for a faster connectivity than just USB 2.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
it's worth getting and using over standard USB 2 (that requires no extra money) and firewire 800 (which my external doesn't have anyways), right?

Looks like a worthy ExpressCard recommendation, thanks

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
How about FW800? Faster/much faster than that?

Also, PNY seems more reputable as a company, but are there any reviews on that model specifically?

coledog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2006
Roanoke, VA
Most any brand that you've already heard of before. Don't buy a brand that you've never heard of. It's honestly worth any extra money (assuming it isn't a ridiculous amount) for a better brand.

coledog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2006
Roanoke, VA
Looks good to me. Lots of people on here buy from OWC and as far as I know their brand is fine too.

It has a 1-year warranty which is good, go for it!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Jmicron 360 is the most desirable/least troublesome chipset to have with an eSATA expresscard though, right?

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
From what I have read, doesn't it not matter that much between firewire 800 and esata as the write speed of the drive is maxed either way?

For transferring off it does, but isn't writing to the drive not that big of a deal?

Just wondering...

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
Go with a real brand for $2 more.

PNY on NEWegg

I think I've even seen it cheaper then this on B&H

And yes, it's much much faster then USB 2.0

I can't find any specs for this, even on pny.com. Does anyone know if it has the JMicron chipset?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/EXP34SATA2P1/

how does this look? Is OWC reputable?

Comes with the Jmicron 360JMB chipset, which is supposedly fault free and works out of the box with no drivers with Leopard... am I right in thinking that Jmicron chipset is good?

OWC is very reputable, and yes, I've seen that the JMicron is the chipset to go with. However, the one you linked is only single port. The only double port with Jmicron I've seen has been no-names like the PPA first linked.

Does anyone know/trust PPA? I don't see any warranty info on Newegg or the PPA Int'l product page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.