Looking for good info on upgrading iMac HDD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Michael CM1, May 29, 2013.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

As the owner of a new Blu-ray reader for my iMac and with my new hobby of ripping my BDs so I can watch them via Apple TV, I have come across an old nemesis: hard disk space. OK, I also have come across "I wish I had the fastest CPU ever made because wow this encoding takes longer than DVDs," but that's another story. Thank goodness for 12GB of RAM.

Anywho, I have tried to do some research on replacing my 500GB hard drive on my mid-2010 iMac. It's not very easy to learn how to do it right. My main concern is I came across an article or two that made mention of not just any hard disk working because of some sensor or technology. I did manage to find out about SATA speeds -- mine is 3Gbps -- and know I need to find one at that speed or faster. I think.

Basically, is there a good resource -- a thread on here, an ifixit.com page -- on how to do this correctly? I can find info on how to get into the guts and have replaced a HDD on a MacBook Pro plus numerous PCs before, so I'm not afraid of any of that. I just need to make sure I get the right drive specs when I shop. Like this one caught my eye on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barra...369892432&sr=1-4&keywords=internal+hard+drive

If anyone wants to address SSDs in an iMac, I'm all ears. My problem is I pretty much have to have about 500GB based on how I'm rolling right now. I need CS3 from time to time, I have all those lovely apps that take up space (iLife, Pages, Numbers). Then I have my iPhoto Library, which is at about 120GB. I see no way I can move it externally without making it slower. Thus, it seems I might as well deck out the insides with a 2TB drive for $100 instead of the same storage capacity for $400 minimum. At that point, I'm about halfway to a MacBook Air and could almost completely turn this thing into nothing but a server for my Apple TV media.

Thank you to anybody who read this far. :D

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Get yourself a large external HD and store your media on that. Keep the internal HD for other stuff, but keep your movies, music and photos on EHDs.