looking for good keyboard midi controller for mbp - 49+ keys

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by tripleec, Jan 13, 2009.

1. tripleec macrumors newbie

hey everyone, ive decided to bite the bullet and start shopping for a keyboard midi controller for my macbook pro. i was looking at the akai mpk49 but its kind of expensive (~400, and i wanted to spend around 300). i wouldn't mind putting money down for it, but ive also read that its mainly set up for reason.

i will start off using garageband, and a lot of people have said the m-audio axiom series works best with apple os x, but ppl have also complained that the drum pads suck and the keyboards aren't too sturdy.

any recommendations?

ive played piano classical/jazz for 10+ yrs so was thinking:
    minimum 49 keys+
    velocity sensitive
    at least semi-weighted keys, if not then fully weighted

a decent drum pad on the keyboard would be a plus

2. Mattaut macrumors regular

At americanmusical.com you can get an Edirol PCR-800 for $300(its $340 everywhere else). I got one for xmas and so far I'm loving it. I was looking at the PCR-800, the MPK49, and the Novation SL and went with the PCR-800. I was leaning towards the MPK49 first but then decided that the 61 keys on the PCR-800 would be better for me because before I got it I had a 61 key non-MIDI keyboard and I didn't want to feel limited and the 61 key Novation was too expensive. The drum pads probably aren't as good as Akai's but I haven't really tried them out much yet. I don't have much experience with MIDI keyboards, but IMO it was a good buy for $300.

3. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I'm also interested in getting a MIDI controller. I want to use it to, both, learn to play the piano and makes music in Garageband, Ableton, Pro Tools, etc.

I've really been looking at the M-Audio Axiom 49, it's a great value and gets good reviews. I went to guitar center to check it out, and everything felt nice and solid.

What are you saying about the drum pads though? They're not good?

Anyways.

4. tripleec thread starter macrumors newbie

can you provide some more in-depth/additional strengths and weaknesses of the edirol controller?

i played with the m-audio contollers and they don't seem as sturdy as other brands. you def get what u pay for with hardware though.

test out the drum pads yourself if you can. they definitely are no where as responsive as other drum pads.

bumpp