Looking for good movie organizer/browser

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Shahrum, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Shahrum macrumors newbie

So OS X includes a great organizer and viewer for your photos and image files - iPhoto. But I can't seem to find a decent app or way to organize and view my videos.

I have folders upon folders of organized and categorized video clips and DVD's and I'd like a nice way of previewing thru them (via thumbnails, etc.) without having to view the files thru the default Finder views.

Are there any good third-party apps out there to accomplish this?

Thanks,
    Shahrum

2. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

I thought it might be better to revive this thread instead of starting a new one.

I'm also looking for just the kind of program the OP described - like an Aperture for home movies :)

Are there any more out there to add to the two mentioned above?

Thanks.

3. Nosoforos macrumors member

I so desperately need an app that can do this! None of the apps I tried are good enough. Someone needs to make something. Suggestions anyone?

4. Nosoforos macrumors member

Well, I tried them all out, and can conclude that DVDPedia is the best one. It let's you organize well and in a pretty way, retrieve info, add artwork, has a barcode scanner etc. Plus, most importantly to me, it lets you link to the files on your harddisk and automatically opens them in the right player.

5. mddharma macrumors regular

As a former user of Delicious Library I would STRONGLY recommend downloading a trial of DVDpedia.

I had use Delicious for about 3 years. The program at first seemed very cool and I used it despite it's shortcomings and the glacier speed of any updates to features and known problems. This week I downloaded the 2.0 Delicious but it would not import over my old Delicious information, just part of it. Panic set in as I had a large library of DVD's and books. I downloaded DVDpedia for a trial.

Wow! The import took less than 3 minutes. Very nice user interface with a ton of bells and whistles I was not accustomed to. Also, they have a free download of Pocketpedia for the iphone which I used to my delight. All of my DVD's are now on my iphone which helps me remember what I have when I am out.

I can also get additional info for my collection from the IMDb database which has also enhanced my information for my collection as well. The only thing "missing" was the eye candy collection shelves that Delicious had. However, I NEVER used that view as it seem pointless for a large collection.

DVDpedia apparently does frequent updates to bug fixes and feature requests from their users, which I think is a HUGE advantage.

You get get all of the pedia's in a bundle if you need all of that. Myself I just purchased books and dvds for $32.00

I love these programs and I wished I had made the switch years ago.:)

6. BajaBoggs macrumors newbie

updating this thread

I am interested in the best way to rip my dvd's and then add them to itunes and my apple tv. Is there something out there that will look pretty and work well on the apple tv as well as itunes for my dvd's? Including artwork, so they look right in the library?

7. davebarr27 macrumors newbie

Plex

http://www.plexapp.com/
    Its is the best movie organizer that you can get plus with an option to stream to you phone with apps cant be beat.

8. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Looks good and it's free! But, and it's a big BUT, the conversion from WMV to MP4 of a file that's 2GB would take 11hours (estmate)!

What if any are your experience with the conversion engine?

9. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

+1

Plex is awesome. I use it to accomplish exactly what this thread is about.

Benefits are
    • no conversion of file types / it reads everything from mp4, avi, mkv...
    • skinnable interface
    • plugins to access hulu, netflix, pandora, etc,
    • pulls info from IMDB so everything from movie and tv show covers, theme music, and movie information is extracted and can be searched and sorted by you

to get a visual preview of what it looks like you can see my blog post on it here:

http://alexagatstein.com/blog/story/?p=0&id=152

Plex is an amazing program once you go through the learning process of getting it up and running. Strongly recommend.

10. davebarr27 macrumors newbie

How did you get the avatar skin for you movies section. it will only allow me to change video plugin skin.

11. shaunieo macrumors newbie

Another person looking

I have a bunch of old digital video's that I have transferred over the years from Windows to macminis to me mac pro. I have video files on all three drives in my pro spread in different directories. I need a piece of software that will search my COMPUTER and add the files without crashing. For some reason iDive crashes when I import a bunch of files. iVideo is just ok...Just downloaded mediapro to give it a try. Was just wondering if anyone has had any good experiences with this type of software.
    thx
    shaun