Looking for good solo piano music

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by c073186, Nov 21, 2011.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

So, with Thanksgiving coming and all, I'm in search of good dinner/piano music. I was looking for just a simple piano type of album. I was wondering who some good pianists/artists are, as I have never really looked into this sort of music before. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. davidinva macrumors 6502a

One way is to search YouTube for solo piano. I did that for old fashioned boogie piano and was amazed at how much I found. Depending on taste, George Winston works for many.

3. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Go to Youtube and search "jazz piano solo" and listen to some of those. Some even have sheet music available. There are some amazing pianists on there.

EDIT: David beat me to it. Great minds think alike I guess.

4. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I'd recommend buying Ludovico Einaudi - LaScala: Concert 03.03.03. Fantastic album of smooth, relaxing piano music.

Great for studying too. :)

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ludovico Einaudi is terrific; in addition, I'd suggest that you listen to a very talented young Irish artist named Luke Slott - his piano music (which he writes himself) is stunning (his web site or YouTube will give you a sense of his work).

More classically inclined piano music would include the much of the work of Frederic Chopin, some of the pieces of Franz Liszt, and for some really haunting and deceptively simple pieces, try listening to Erik Satie.

7. SandboxGeneral, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Also if you're looking in the classical genre, Mozart has some very good piano sonata's. You can never go wrong with Beethoven's piano sonata #14 either.

If you have the ATV2 available, you can stream piano music right from the radio app in the classical genre as well.

Oh and if you want some nice soothing patriotic songs, the O'Neil Brothers album Celebrate America: A Collection of 35 Patriotic Songs is fantastic. Plus they have other nice albums too; all on iTunes.

8. iJohnHenry, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

9. paulisme macrumors 6502

You can't go wrong with early Bill Evans. Waltz For Debby, Portrait In Jazz and Live at the Village Vanguard are all great piano albums.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

11. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I'd get anything by Chopin or Liszt. The best thing about the music I like, I can get them for $2 a CD in the bargain bin. As far as which pianist plays the music, I really don't care. At the highest level, the differences is negligible for the common man like me.

13. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

George Winston is the quintessential US holiday music....familiar, subdued background music.

I sometimes get annoyed by hearing his albums at every holiday party, but it really does fit the mood.

Side note:
    I saw him live once and the first part of the show he was playing Hawaiian Slack Guitar which I had never heard before but found amazing.

The rest of the show was amazing solo piano, not his holiday music.

It's always interesting when a guy sells out a show to 5,000+ people who are wearing ties and dress ware, then he comes out on stage in jeans and a flannel shirt like Pearl Jam.

I almost fell asleep at that concert, not because it was boring but because the music was so relaxing..... Just what's need after a big holiday meal :)

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Look into Marcus Roberts' jazz albums. They're great.

15. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Rick Wakeman (keyboardist from Yes, back in the day) has more than a few solo albums out that are very listenable. Country Airs is the best one imo. :)