Looking for good Tutorials on SSH...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by htownmade1984, Aug 5, 2010.

1. htownmade1984 macrumors regular

I finally was able to rejailbreak my iphone 3GS that is running ios4. Finally learned how to get access to my phone through WinSCP and Openssh. I don't know how to do much though. Does anyone have any advice or any links to good tutorials? Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

2. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

What about it? You are basically inside your phones files, editing them through your wifi connection.
    What are you trying to do?

3. forumindianic macrumors newbie

My question is in regards to SSH access. When I have login to WHM user guide.

4. htownmade1984 thread starter macrumors regular

Anything really. I googled best things to do after you jailbreak your iphone and openssh was number 1 on just about every list I found.

I found a few tutorials showing how to put in custom wallpapers and ringtones, but I can already do that through cydia and the new ios4 update.

Is there anything else cool or useful? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I am new to all this.

5. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Its not at all!
    i use http://macthemes.net/forum/viewforum.php?id=24 for all my theming needs. Its much better than cydia.
    you can get feedback and actually see what your installing.
    Most of it requires SSHing onto your phone!

I use SSH to change files and colors of things on the go and to basically get into my phone :D.
    The less stuff from cydia you have installed the better IMO.

6. htownmade1984 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the link. I will def check them out. Do I need to install Automatic SSH from rock? Or will whatever I "drag into the phone" automatically show up without that? Or would I just need to respring?

7. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Depends on what yo9 drag in. I usually drop a theme into My phone and while its loading in open up winterboard. Its pretty fast. It all depends on what you do haha.
    Maybe try to find some specific things you need to use SSh to do and ill help you out :p?

8. htownmade1984 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot!

9. htownmade1984 thread starter macrumors regular

I just downloaded a message tone for my sms from zedge.net. Where would I place that? In the ringtone folder? Or Under themes?

10. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

What type of file is it?
    if its a normal ring tone file i would suggest normally syncing it.

11. htownmade1984 thread starter macrumors regular

It's a mp3.

12. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Now google what type of file a ringtone is, grab a free converter and then put in iTunes.
    The phone does not work liekt hat where you can just drop any file type somewhere I think.

13. j3w3ly macrumors member

I've been looking through that forum, and I have a question. Is there a way to see all of the things you get before downloading? I'm new to all this, so I have no clue what I'm doing. For example, I've been looking at the Suave HD theme, and I can see a few icons, but that's it. Is there a way to see more detail of what I will get without actually installing the theme on the phone?

14. hypoh macrumors member

hypoh

Neither.

You place the tone (.caf format and renamed to either sms-received1.caf to sms-received6.caf) in /System/Library/Audio/UISounds

15. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

They are just showing you what the icons will look like when the theme is enabled. The file is liek 2Megs, why not download it and investigate :D

16. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone