Looking For Good Video Editing Software.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AlphaicTheX, Mar 2, 2009.

1. AlphaicTheX macrumors newbie

iMovie lacks in effects so much it isn't even funny, Adobe was confusing, and I don't feel like buying FCE. Any alternatives? :confused:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

All Adobe? After Effects and Premier was confusing?
    I mean, if you want to edit videos I'd imagine if iMovie is lacking to you then you may do this or want to do this more professionally. I think using whatever industry standard is would be prudent, but that is just me.

However, I googled something for you ... have special powers.
    List of Video Editing Software

3. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

well nothing beats Final Cut Express or Pro when it comes to editing on a mac... and if you're looking for a free alternative, you might as well stick to iMovie.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

What don't you like about FCE? Is it the $199 price? You are not going to find anything better at that price point on the Mac.

The basic problem is that multi-track video editors are complex. And
    the single timeline ones are very limited.

If you want "free", Run Linux inside a virtual machine and then get Cinnelerra.
    It is about like FCE but is open source and free. But if you think Adobe is
    "confusing" don't bother with any of the high-end editing suites and stay
    with iMovie
    http://cinelerra.org/about.php

5. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

FCE is a great price, I don't know why you wouldn't "feel like buying it". The good thing about learning FCE is that if you ever become more serious with video editing and want Final Cut Studio, it'll be a heck of a lot easier to learn Final Cut Pro!

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

As far as the popular industry-standard editing packages on the Mac go, you have these choices:

1. FCE
    2. FCS/FCP
    3. Adobe Premiere
    4. Avid Media Composer

FCE is going to be your best bang for the buck if you need a little more than what iMovie can do. Put a helmet on and stop whining because as explained before, multi-track editors are far more complex by nature. The more features an application has, the more complex it becomes. Funny how that works...

There's a wealth of tutorials (often, even free) available online for all these applications, too. FCE and FCP also have very well-written manuals.