Looking for GPS recommendations for Maperture Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by odinsride, Oct 3, 2011.

1. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I would like to buy a handheld GPS for use with this Aperture plugin:

Maperture Pro

According to the website, it supports the following formats: GPX, KML, LOG, NMEA & TCX

Does anyone know of some good GPS units that support these formats? $200 max, something with good battery life that I could leave running while on a hike.

Thanks!

2. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I don't have much experience with handheld GPS units. I do have an old cheap one that I use in my kayak, but it doesn't connect to a computer at all. But I can possibly offer a solution at least for the short term.

Do you have a smartphone? If so, there are a number of GPS apps out there that can save your track and export them in a number of formats. I have and love MotionX GPS for my iPhone. They used to have a free version that worked great, or you could upgrade to the full version for only $3, which I did. As long as you remember to hit the sleep button to turn the screen off, the GPS really doesn't eat that much battery. My iPhone 4 can last plenty long enough for a day hike.

I can then export a GPX file of the track and use that with some software I have (the name of it eludes me at the moment) to geotag my photos based on the timestamp.

3. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I have a Garmin Oregon, but they have cheaper models. If you are looking for a camera mounted GPS, look up Solmeta. I have one and it is the best I have ever used.

4. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

What?! Literally a day after I post the original thread, they decide to shut down...just my luck. :eek: