Looking for hard shell to lock in Apples Smart Cover

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by drober30, Apr 1, 2012.

1. drober30 macrumors 6502a

After reading through some posts, I think the Zum looked pretty good but I did not find a web site for them.

However, after looking some more, I think I like the Speck SmartShell which looks like it covers all the edges of the iPad. It also has a feature that will allow the magnet to keep the case open when it's folder under while using the iPad.

I just had a chat session and they said it would be available in 1 week.

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Also, look into Incipio's Smart Feather. Works great with the iPad.

3. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

+1. I am really happy with mine.

4. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bougt the Lexington and it's pretty nice but the Speck covers all the edges where the feather does not and the Spec has the feature that allows the magnet to keep the cover open. I have high hopes for it!

5. faxao macrumors regular

That was my choice too.....hope to receive it soon :)

6. oliboli macrumors member

You can also consider the Macally SmartMate. It offers great coverage.

7. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Same here - great combo.

8. AppLeTeeNie macrumors newbie

Same here it's great...

9. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Smart Feather is overrated, people bought it only because it was the first option out there for the The New iPad.

The Macally SmartMate just came out and is far superior. Full back protection, no big openings at the top/bottom, and cheaper too.

http://www.macally.com/en/product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=433

The stupid Smart Feather had its moment in the first 14 days of the New iPad's life; those days are over. Better option out there now.

BJ

10. Muddypawz macrumors newbie

Same here. The Incipio Smart Feather's perfect!

11. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This looks nice, thanks!

12. eg2007 macrumors 6502

I have a black smart feather, but just ordered that i-Blason in black because I read good things and it offers a little more coverage http://amzn.to/H7AKMf

Hopefully it's cool. If so, I'll return the smart feather and pocket the $15 :)

13. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I bought the smart feather because I am a fan of Incipio. Been buying their products since the first iPhone.

14. Luba, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Smart Feather is less protective, not a hard shell, and cost more, but the grippy material in the Feather is worth considering. I am assuming since Macally is a hard shell that's it's smooth to the touch.

I don't think any of these types of cases (Belkin makes a back cover too) would save your iPad if it got dropped. I was looking for something so that the back doesn't get scratched up and to stabilize the smart cover. With the back cover on I don't worry about sliding the iPad on a table. If the Feather had a magnet on the back to hold the smart cover when I flip open the smart cover completely, then feature-wise it would be perfect for me.

I was also going for slimness, almost as if I was holding a naked iPad and that it looked naked, so I went with the Frost color Feather. But I almost went with an Incase Book Jacket, it doesn't add much thickness but it does provide more protection, and the canvas ones look good too, IMO. Adding even a bit more thickness I also considered the Maroo case, their bumpers definitely add more protection. I felt the Maroo didn't look as good, plus they were having the magnet issue when I was shopping for a case.

This is my first iPad so I don't really know how I will be using it mostly: Propped up to watch videos and reading? Or would I like to hold it more for reading? If I hold it more than I think the Feather + Smart Cover is the way to go. If I want it propped up more than the Incase book jacket (or Belkin Cinema) or the Maroo. The Feather + Cover can be propped up but not as many angles. With the others you can get a spring/bounce back when typing, and that could annoy me. I am now considering getting a stand for those times I know I will do extensive typing or watching. :) And I might get a better stylus. :)

Ok, more information than you asked for, but there it is. :)

15. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

That is an incorrect assumption.

The Macally is a hard shell with the added benefit of a good coat of black rubber paint, so it is very grippy and scratch resistant. I've owned both hard shells and TPU shells and neither will protect from a 4 foot drop onto a hard surface. Protection from a drop is something neither the Feather or the Macally will offer. Instead, they offer only the following:

Aluminum scratch protection.

Adherence of the magnetic smart cover.

Non-slip grippy surfaces.

An attractive appearance.

The Macally beats the Incipio on all four counts. The Incipio Feather has large openings at the top and bottom edge which allow dust and grime to get deep into the back and the abundance of exposed aluminum will surely scratch over time with normal handling. The Incipio Feather looks unfinished, on the back it looks like a designer forgot to finish off the speaker area completely, just left it open. The Macally is lighter and thinner too.

Compare the two closely, it comes down to aluminum protection and appearance as the tiebreakers. Look at the photos. It's pretty clear that the Macally is the superior choice. What'll happen now is that all who didn't wait the extra two weeks for a better solution than the Feather will defend their purchases. That's fine, but the fact is that as the weeks go by more and more cases with better designs will emerge; the Macally is the current leader in locking smart cover back protectors.

BJ

16. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

Saw this at a Yodobashi in Japan under the OEM name. The kludge "amplifier" and overall scent of cheapness of this cover are all too apparent when you can compare to about a dozen other similar choices. It was priced accordingly.

All have pros and cons, none are perfect solutions.

17. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

If the Macally had the magnet in the back like the Belkin, then I would I give the Feather away and eat the loss, but as it is, in my situation, I'll continue to use the Feather until I don't like it. I know what you mean, and I try not to fall in that trap of defending something that's not justified. I now also see what you mean, the Feather looks more like a tray rather than a complete back cover. It's not bad looking IMO, otherwise I would have noticed before. The case I really wanted to get for scratch protection is the Beyza executive leather that covers the back and also has a leather cover, but at around $150, it seemed a bit much.

Too bad Apple didn't release the dimension specs beforehand as I didn't want to wait and ended up avoided and not considering cases that weren't new iPad ready.

18. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Agree to a point, but it doesn't really matter. In six months, none of us will have any Feather's or Macally's in our possession anyway. By then, the ultimate case will have been developed by someone and we'll all be using that. We're a mere two weeks into the The New iPad's lifespan, lots of great products still to come.

BJ

19. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

I got the Smartmate and don't like the way it feels in my hands or the fact that it is a loose fit. If you barely push against the top right corner, it will come off easily. The Smart Feather on my iPad 2 felt much better but basically offered no corner protection, which the Smartmate does have.

I'll be returning my Smartmate and will be getting a shell that lets you take the smart cover off.

----------

Not so sure about that. Throughout the lifespan of the iPad 2, I can only really think of the Smartmate and Smart Feather as thin cases that also held the Smart Cover on?

20. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

...and I'm keeping the SmartMate just to have situationally, like a vacation where the kids may pick my iPad up by the magnetic cover and drop it accidentally if not for a locking cover.

Besides those 10 rare days a year I'll use the Macally, the rest of the time I'll need a back shell with total aluminum protection and no Smart Cover integration at all. Still waiting for someone to come out with something like that for my daily needs. If you come across one, please let me know.

BJ

21. Bazodee macrumors member

Is it just me or is the macally look super smooth -is it just a polycarbonate finish?

22. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Damn kids. Basically the only reason I wanted a shell that holds the Smart Cover in place. :)