Looking for HD bridge - any such thing yet?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Heb1228, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Ok guys, I want to see if anyone can help me out with this. I'm looking for an HD bridge: something that will accept input from an HD source (Component or HDMI) and translate it into a format that can be saved on a Mac. This would be the same thing as a DV bridge, for those who know what those are, only for an HD signal, not a DV signal.

The connection would be: HD Source -> HD Bridge -> Mac (likely over firewire).

I'm at a loss of where to look for such a thing, if it even exists. My first thought was Elgato, but I found this:
    So no help there. Anyone know of a solution, or do I have to wait a while longer?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Well, there is the Motu V3HD but it's nearly $3k so it might be out of your budget. There just don't seem to be any inexpensive (like a few hundred bucks) HD converters yet.

Lethal

3. AstrayCliche macrumors member

4. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

OK everything looks really expensive going that route... here's a different idea I'll throw out there as a possibility. I'll be using this with Directv. Do you think I could get one of their DVRs, record what I want to in HD, then open up the case, take the hard drive out, and transfer the video somehow? I know it comes to the receiver as an MPEG-2 stream, I'm assuming the hard drive just saves the stream exactly as it comes from the satellite.

I would think it should be possible to get ahold of the file somehow (they may use NTFS or FAT file system, but I would think it would be something fairly widespread) and save that. Anyone heard of someone having success with this kind of thing?

5. Poeben macrumors 6502

So I was thinking, a while back I heard that the FCC mandated that firewire outputs be put on some receiver boxes... So this got me thinking perhaps that is a route for you to look into.

Then I found this. I read it for all of 10 seconds, but it might help you out.

Good Luck

6. colto macrumors regular

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe