Looking for HD webcam w/ optical zoom

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rajid, Apr 3, 2009.

1. rajid macrumors member

I regularly record performances in an auditorium using my iMovie with my 8mm digital camera. I'd like something with higher resolution, however. I'm looking for an HD USB webcam which has optical zoom (at least 2-3x, I would think). I don't need a regular HD video camera because I don't need the record ability. This would be connected directly to my Mac and thus record directly to disk.

Is there anything out there for around $100-200 that would do what I want? I've searched around some but haven't yet found anything.

2. rajid thread starter macrumors member

Maybe I need a Firewire HD webcam

Actually, testing out this idea, I see that iMovie doesn't seem to accept video from a USB webcam. I guess I need an HD webcam with Firewire. That's going to be much harder to come by. Basically, everything out there assumes you want the camera to also record onto some media whereas all I need is direct Firewire input to the computer.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Why not a regular HD camera with firewire passthrough?

It'd be easier than trying to find a HD FW Webcam ...

4. rajid thread starter macrumors member

I thought I could save money by not buying a unit which could do local storage but was only a camera, but I'm coming to the conclusion that going the route of a small HD video camera is really the only possibility.