Looking for HDD Enclosure for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nadasive, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Nadasive macrumors 6502

I have a Hitachi Travelstar 4200RPM 80GB Hard Drive. Its in a plastic bag sitting in my Laptops BackPack.
    I'm looking for somethiing so that I can Connect that HardDrive to my MacBook Pro

So far I found This site:
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=92&name=External-Enclosures

Does anyone else have a link to casings like this? I need one with a Fan because i don't want my HDD to overheat, any link would be nice (besides newegg, I've went to through ALL of there casings :( )

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

If the case is made of aluminum, it will do a good enough job of dissipating heat. You really dont need a fan in an external enclosure, especially for a small laptop hard drive.

3. Nadasive thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohh.... I see, Didn't know that o.0

Thanks

4. johnsy macrumors 6502

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

newegg is a great site to buy electronics from btw. I just bought a Macally Esata/FW400/USB enclosure (the one that looks like a mini Mac Pro). its made entirely out of aluminum (except for the PCB inside and the drive). While the drive is working hard the whole case gets warm, which lets me know its acting as a heatsink for my hard drive.

I would recommend Macally enclosures. Though a little more expensive, they use better controllers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817146604

6. Nadasive thread starter macrumors 6502

7. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

i would recommend newegg/macally as well. althought macally doesnt have much in the form of sata enclosures, which is a shame.