Looking for Help on TM and Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by reno56k, Mar 31, 2012.

1. reno56k macrumors newbie

Hey Gang,

I need some help. My wife and I are planning on buying a mac Mini when they get refreshed in June or July. I am planning on selling my current (very old) mac book pro (late 2007) and using that money to help the purchase.

Onto my problem:
    I have been using Time Machine to back up my data from my macbook pro. I want to transfer the data from the Time Machine to the new mac mini when we buy it.

Questions:
    1. Is it possible that I won't loose all my programs and data when it transfers.
    2. How do I hook up my time machine backup HD to the new Mac Mini to transfer all the data.

Any advice an help would be greatly appreciated as I am a semi noob when it comes to transferring data and upgrading.

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

1) Yes it is possible you won't lose data. It's also possible you will have some issues with transferred apps, but they're usually easily solved.
    2) USB

3. laurenr macrumors 6502a

The absolute easiest way:
    Purchase your new Mac Mini in a retail Apple Store. They will do the entire data transfer for you for free; just bring your old Laptop with you. My Husband did this with his last Mac purchase; worked like a charm:), especially for a "semi-noob".:)