Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MDominic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2014
I have an iPhone 3Gs bought from a yard sale, original owner unknown. While I have no interest in using it as a phone, I do want to use it as a portable wifi device. However, in Settings, wifi is missing. Not greyed out, but completely missing. In the section where it should be, I have just Airplane Mode and Bluetooth, and nothing else.
I have tried resetting all network settings. I have tried jailbreaking and unlocking the phone. I have tried it with a sim card from another carrier. Nothing seems to make a difference to the device; the option is still missing.
I have searched a host of sites for info related to this, but have not been able to find that anyone else has had the same problem, let alone having a solution.
Can anyone provide assistance or insight into this problem?

For technical reference, it is a 16 GB 3GS running IOS 6.1.3 with Modem Firmware 05.13.04. It is not currently jailbroken, as I reset it to update the OS. For all the good that did.

MDominic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2014
Thanks for the reply. Previous OS upgrades have not fixed the problem. Is this a known issue that was fixed in 6.1.6?

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Thanks....turns out that was the right answer.

Oh well, I suppose it will still make a decent ereader.

Glad you found the answer. Welcome to the crazy of the oppressive Chinese government that wouldn't allow an iPhone that had a Wi-Fi chip. They allowed Wi-Fi starting with the release of the iPhone 4, so iPhone 3gs's sold after the iPhone 4 also had Wi-Fi.

Quantum2

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2014
Glad you found the answer. Welcome to the crazy of the oppressive Chinese government that wouldn't allow an iPhone that had a Wi-Fi chip. They allowed Wi-Fi starting with the release of the iPhone 4, so iPhone 3gs's sold after the iPhone 4 also had Wi-Fi.

So odd for a smarthphone to be sold without Wi-Fi...

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Looking for Help with Missing Wifi on IPhone 3GS

I am sure that was Apple's response also.

Though, remember that going back a few years prior, smartphones such as the Palm Treo didn't have Wi-Fi. Even if it did have a Wi-Fi radio, we could only use one radio at a time, cell radio or Wi-Fi radio. Palm OS Garnet wasn't capable of using both at the same time, so Palm never included a Wi-Fi radio.

Of course, that's not the same reason for the iPhone 3GS model released for China. Blame China's restrictive government.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.