Looking for help with selecting personal finance software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by grizfan, Mar 13, 2012.

1. grizfan macrumors member

grizfan

Back in my Windows days, I used Quicken. Now, I have a MBP running Lion. We've also sort of let things slide in keeping up with Quicken, so I'd like a clean start with what ever program I decide upon. Here's what I'm looking for:

• Importing old Quicken data is NOT important
    • Creating and tracking to a budget is a top priority
    • Online bill paying is not important
    • Importing transactions from my bank would be nice, but not required

We have a savings account, checking account, a couple of credit cards, and a few investment accounts. Previously, we did not use Quicken to track our investments, but I'm open to doing so in the future. At this point, I'm mostly interested in keeping a close eye on how the money leaves.

So, if you were starting fresh, what would you pick?

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

3. grizfan thread starter macrumors member

grizfan

Any thoughts on iBank's budgeting ability? A friend recommended You Need A Budget (YNAB), and swears by its budgeting ability.

Also, any thoughts on MoneyWell?

4. TwoCybers macrumors newbie

So, if you were starting fresh, what would you pick?

As much as I dislike saying this, I use and would again use Quicken for Windows. It is a PITA to have Windows for the only purpose of Quicken, but that is position.

Gordon
    Atlanta

5. grizfan thread starter macrumors member

grizfan

I've downloaded the trial version of Moneywell and will try that this weekend.
    It seems like there is quite a bit of angst over the 2.0 upgrade for veteran Moneywell users, but I'm hoping I won't have issues as a new user.

6. Raptor123 macrumors newbie

Finance with a Mac

Bought a mac earlier this year and spent some time looking for a suitable package to transfer my MS Moneyplus data into. Was not happy with what was on offer. Loaded Virtualbox which is free, loaded a working copy of windows 7 and finally downloaded a free copy of Moneyplus; yes it is still available and free. Uploaded saved copy of data and I now all of my years of data available to me. I bank with Lloyds so can download quicken/ms data into software.
    Total costs £0.00
    Works wonderfully and no switching drives.
    Virtual box does take a little time to set up but once you get the hang of it no problem. Upgraded to Mountain Lion and then reinstalled the latest version of Virtualbox without any problems.:)

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Windows 7 is not free for most people.