Looking for home design program for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sjohnson4382, Feb 17, 2010.

1. sjohnson4382 macrumors member

I am looking for a home design program for my Mac. It seems everywhere I look the programs are for PC's or are programs that were originally for PC and have been half-heartedly converted to be a able to use with a mac, however the mac features are lost.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a program to buy. I am not wanting to spend $400 more in the $100-$200 range at most. I do want a program that is capable of showing elevation drawings and all that good stuff, but don't need one that will allow for all kinds of furniture to be placed in it. Ease of use is another thing I am looking for as this is for personal use and not for a business. thanks

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Google sketchup is pretty good actually.

There is another one that I've used, SweetHome3d at http://www.sweethome3d.eu/index.jsp

Hope these help.

I'll try to find the proper name of it and post back later.

3. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I tried five or six softwares in the summer to help my brother with his self-built house.

There are sleeker ones on the market with free demos that you might try, but you cannot ignore that Sweet Home 3D is free, it has a Windows version and it works pretty much the same way as semi-professional designer programs, so it's easy, it can do 2D and 3D, walking tours and it is very flexible.

I was genuinely impressed with some of these Mac home designer softwares, but if your home does not suit the fairly general templates, then even an application that costs $200 will not make your job easier.

One more thing... Sweet Home 3D also makes the process very architecture-based, so you don't get obsessed with furniture. If you don't like it, try something else, but I would rather spend that extra money on a few very good interior design books or on the home itself. Also, there are some very good blogs that will give you better ideas that you may get from any software.

4. PeggyD macrumors 6502a