Looking for honest opinion Jailbreak vs Rooted Andorid ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Darthdingo, May 16, 2011.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Hello, I do not want to start a flame war, but ask a serious question.

I am looking to possibly come back to Apple after a two year hiatus, being with Android, had the Nexus-One, and now the EVO 4G for the last year. And it is mainly the battery life on both phones that pisses me off, and they are both rooted with custom ROM's and kernels that give better battery life, but they still don't even last a full day, usually they dying down around dinner time, to the red %. Now if I am near a charger in the office or the car, then I am good to go obviously, but I have to be married to charger.

But I do LOVE the customization that rooting allows on my Androids, I can flash different ROM's and Themes, and have a very unique looking phone, with cool features stock will never give me. And I NEVER have crashes or restarts or bad issues with the phones, I only use stable ROM's with zero problems, but again the battery life blows.

And lately my EVO 4G, is just feeling too big, it is very thick and heavy, and for summer time, not a fun phone to have in your pocket, feels like a brick in my shorts :eek:

Ok my whole point finally, does Jailbreak work like rooting and custom ROM's ? I read on Android forums so many things about how jailbrekaing always gets screwed up with each new iOS release, and you have to babysit each custom app you're running, or it might get outdated and cause issues ?

Can I just jailbreak a new iPhone4, install my custom apps, and cool theme, and be good to go for months with no worries ? Or will I have to worry about new versions always coming out, and keep up to date constantly ?

Thank you

2. kre62 macrumors 68000

Todays jailbreaks are stable, simple, and easy.

To answer your question, no one forces you to install updates. You can choose to do so if you want. Updates to apps come through Cydia, and are stable and fine. Updates to the iOS software are a different story. When the iOS software is updated, a jailbreaker must first wait until the new software has been jb'd. This involves finding a vulnerability and then packaging it up in an easy to use manner.

This does not affect you at all unless you are dead set on instantly updating to the latest version. Unless the latest version adds a feature you just absolutely can not live without, theres no reason to get excited about updating. For the most part, the new software ususally adds just small things. If your phone is set up how you like, you shouldnt worry about being on the absolute latest software. There are no adverse effects to staying on slightly older software.

I think Android users should be used to waiting for new software versions. Many take 18months to 2 years, if ever. Im talking about waiting a few weeks after initial release of new iOS software. No big deal.

To answer your other question, you can pretty much do absolutely anything you can imagine with a jb iPhone.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

There are only a couple things you have to baby: baseband and blobs
    BB determines your unlock and can't be downgraded. People who have an unlockable bb have to be careful about how they upgrade.
    SHSH blob determines your ability to install an older iOS; anything that apple isn't signing is considered old. You have to get the latest blob every time apple signs (i.e., releases) a new iOS. Use tiny umbrella to facilitate the process.

4. Modavated macrumors newbie

I understand what you mean about battery life issues.

I have an iPhone and its jailbroken, and I use it a Lot. I had battery issues. So I looked for solutions. I came across a battery pack Case for it. I bought one, and now if I'm running low on battery, I turn it on and boom, it starts re-charging the battery.

It's great, I don't have to be "married" to a charger. lol

5. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Compared to 2 years ago it's much much easier these days :)

- Caring for baseband only apply if you intend to use the iPhone w/ any other provider than it's locked to.

- SHSH blobs are pretty much managed automatically these days and unless you're a total dweeb who can't stay away from updating your iPhone "by mistake" the blobs are really only useful if you update too early and find your favorite hack doesn't just yet work w/ the latest firmware.

The latest 4.3.3 firmware is easily jailbreakable, it will take you less than 5 mins and as long as you read the above you're golden.

Take the plunge, you won't regret it

6. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I have an Android phone that I rooted and re-rommed, as well as an iPhone 4.

Jailbreaking is no harder than rooting, and it is well worth it. Cydia helps with keeping JB apps up to date, and even though PkgBackup nowhere comes close to Titanium Backup for functionality, it does a decent job.

There are no real downsides of jailbreaking, except that a few apps try to detect jailbreaking and won't run.

7. arnoldma macrumors newbie

I understand the baseband thing, but not quite sure about blob, what do you mean by "staying away from updating iphone 'by mistake'"? when we update a jailbreak iphone, dont we have to update through itunes - in the normal fashion, anyway?

Thanks.

8. AdrianK macrumors 68020

An SHSH blob is what allows you to downgrade back to that firmware. So if you have blobs for 4.3.3, you can downgrade back to 4.3.3.

If you update via iTunes, you lose your JB, because it's deleting your current firmware and replacing with wish a fresh install of iOS.

9. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

They are just saying that if you depend on an older baseband for the purpose of unlocking your phone for use on other carriers, be careful. If you just upgrade through iTunes as normal it will upgrade your baseband and there is no way to reverse that. There are however ways to upgrade your iOS (yes, via itunes) but in conjunction with either Pwnage Tool or Tiny Umbrella to upgrade your iOS but keep your baseband from upgrading at the same time.

So if you care about unlocking, it's wise to be careful. iTunes is always part of the process.

10. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Once you know what tools do what it is pretty easy to live with actually.

The android platform with the fragmentation scares me when you bring rooting into the mix. I really hope they pull things together, i would not mind going android next at all.

11. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You probably haven't seen the posts from people who "accidentally" update their JB--meaning they couldn't be bothered to learn that JB/unlock is wiped out by an update. Personally, I think the mistake was letting those people JB in the first place. :rolleyes:
    Cydia has been experiencing intermittent problems with saving the blobs; it's in one's best interests to d/l them manually.