Looking for HyperMac battery charging cable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 88 King, May 16, 2012.

1. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Hi all,

I’m looking to purchase a 2012 mbp (when it is released) and a Hyperjuce battery for mac (link to battery)

However, since Apple sued them, I now need to spend extra $50 and cut up the mbp charger to make the battery work. Link

Does anybody know where I can get the original Hypermac battery cable from?
    Link to the charging cable

Many thanks

2. zmikegyver macrumors newbie

Anywhere less than $79 is gray market parts or illegal.

Mikegyver

3. alphaod, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Buy the Apple airplane adapter and use their "Magic Box" contraption. If you buy a HyperMac battery, it should come with one of the "Magic Box" adapters, so the added cost is the $50 airline adapter. The original cables were like $100, so I don't think this is such a bad deal.

EDIT: Looks like you need to modify the MacBook Pro charger to also charge the HyperMac battery? I'm not sure about this. If that's the case, you can still splice the airline adapter. The external battery charger is $30 from them. I had to buy a replacement recently for my unit, that's why I know it's $30.

What the hell are you talking about? :confused:

4. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

Cables under $79 are not genuine apple parts, cables, chips, etc modified to work with external batteries, but are knock offs.

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

What in the world are you talking about?

6. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I'm pretty sure he's not talking about a genuine apple part, he's talking about a HyperMac part...

7. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

Genuine apple parts are used to make good cables, whether hypermac does it or someone else.

8. 88 King thread starter macrumors 6502

88 King

I think the new Hyperjuice battery comes with car charger, you need to buy Apple airline adaptor to make it work. However, this solution only allows mbp to run off the external battery but will not charge the internal battery. Their magic box cost $50 on top and mess up the mbp charger. I think I'll buy a cheap 3rd party mbp charger to mod the magic box on.

Hyperjuice seems to be the only quality solution to extra battery for mbp. After the disappointing 2012 Lenovo line up announcement, I want to go back to a mbp, but needs at lest 10hrs run time for my usage.

I really don't think there is much difference between charging cable from Apple or 3rd party. It is only couple of copper wires, we are not talking about oxygen free audio cable.

9. silverjam, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012

silverjam macrumors regular

Just buy an Apple Airline Power Cable or normal MacBook power adapter, or use your dirtiest old one. Cut the 'non-magsafe' end of and solder it to a $2 plug the same size as the Hyper Juice one. You then have the original HyperJuice Cable. I have made two, one long and one short. The internal wire in the Apple charger is soldered to the inside point (+) and the outside surround wire is soldered to the outside point of the plug (-). My MacBook wire shows no difference (apart from serial number) in the OSX system details under 'Power'.

The HyperBox just has a little circuit board in it to run the LED and control all that crap that they have with plugin this and that in.

This set up has worked for me for a while, and My MacBook Air 2011 OSX Lion doesn't seem to care.

I bought the Magic Box thing but if you look at it it is ridiculous. It is just an attempt to come up with something which is ok for Apple and doesn't require any soldering for the consumer.

EDIT>>>>>NOTE: Upon re-reading this and looking at the post I should note that this works for me on my MacBook Air. I am not sure if this works on the more heavy duty MacBook Pro which I believe can chew more power. Also my HyperJuice is the MBP-060 smaller battery.

Silverjam.