Looking for Ideas to Share Keyboard and Mouse Between an iMac and MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mcdisease, May 24, 2014.

1. mcdisease macrumors newbie

My wife and I both have MacBooks at work and iMacs at home and sometimes work from home. I have purchased cables to use our iMacs as external monitors with our MacBooks, but we also want to be able to use the iMac's keyboard and mouse. The keyboard and mouse seem to stay connected to the iMac, making them unavailable for use with the MacBook.

I was able to get this to work temporarily by turning off the Bluetooth on my wife's iMac so she can work from home today, but when she wants to use her iMac again we'll have to do a hard reboot to get it to connect keyboard and mouse again. This doesn't seem to be a sustainable option.

Is anyone else managing this problem? She's working now so I can't try out some ideas, but looking at my iMac, maybe I can disconnect both devices on the iMac, plug in the display cable and then connect the keyboard and mouse to her MacBook.

I also found an app called Teleport. Has anyone used this and will it solve my problem?
    http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14042/teleport

Thanks.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

3. mcdisease thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. They may be great in the long run. Christmas present ideas.

4. JoeyCloverfield macrumors regular

You can also try 1Keyboard. It's only for the keyboard but you could disconnect the mouse from the iMac and connect it to your MacBook. Keep the keyboard connected and control both devices. When you want to switch back to your iMac, simply disconnect the mouse and connect it back to the iMac. No rebooting necessary.