Looking for Imitation Dock for iPhone 4.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleguy123, Jun 28, 2010.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I've paid the Apple tax on the iPhone dock 3 times, and I am not doing it again! Does anyone know of a good imitation dock that will work for the iPhone 4. I'm looking for as close to the original as possible. I'd like to pay around $10-$15 for it.
    Thanks for any help, and I would appreciate you not calling me a cheap skate. It's more a matter of principle for not paying $30 for molded hard plastic.

2. eTip macrumors 6502

Buy an old universal dock off eBay. I bought the version that has s-video out & remote capability for < $15. My iP4 is sitting in it right now.

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

How well does it fit? Does it wiggle?

4. dseig001 macrumors member

Get some dock adaptors - I've been using the same universal dock for 4 years by just buying the new adaptors $9 for 3

5. DJ ReFRESH macrumors member

my 2g docks work great, no adapter needed. i had two laying around that i didn't use since the 3g didn't fit. glad i didn't throw them out...i saved $60 and have charging stations at home and work

6. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Does it fit with a bumper on?

7. eTip macrumors 6502

Let me take back my previous post. The one mine is in right now has been modified a bit to fit my iPad. I have 2nd one (of the same model) that hasn't been modified and I just tested and I cant get it to work w/ the iP4 with any of the inserts. It works with NO inserts but is a bit loose...
    It would probably require a little modification to get it to work.

An easier solution would be to get the dock that came w/ the original iPhone. No video out or remote capability but it works fine w/ a caseless iP4. Others have confirmed this and I just tested it with mine.

8. eTip macrumors 6502

Probably not. Doesn't work w/ my Belkin case on - that's why I switched to the modded universal dock....

9. DJ ReFRESH macrumors member

i don't have a bumper on my phone but i highly doubt it. the ip4 isn't a perfect fit in the 2g dock but it fits well enough with the only gaps due to the curved shape of the 2g versus the squared off shape of the ip4