Looking for info on iphone & smartphone comparison..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by illest813, May 30, 2008.

1. illest813 macrumors member

Hey guys- sorry, the title may be misleading. I'm not sure where i've read it (whether macrumors, engadget, etc) but there was a credible source showing that the iphone is the #2 most used smartphone. The reason I am asking this is because I am doing a strategy and policy report on RIMM (yes I know, dont kill me-apple was takin) and I am trying to get some appendices to include showing that its a growing threat (as well as all the new smartphones). I just need any information or appendices that I can include. I simply can not find where I was reading this before, and am on a mad search to find recent company news about RIMM (so pissed I do not have apple- I check this site maybe 80x a day). Any information would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks in advance

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

If it ever shows up, I'll take a look at it, but I'm not sold on the $10 more per month than my iPhone, for the Data Plan!

As for "competitor" I always say:

"The only threat to the Apple iPhone is the Apple iPhone itself! (Sort of a take on Carl Von Clausewitz). If V2 doesn't live up to all the hype and rumors, then everyone sitting on the fence will end up searching elsewhere and the current iPhone owners will just resume life without upgrading."

And from the looks of it, you'll probably shell-out at least $650 plus tax for a RIM product and another runner-up, to go along with that $30 (or more) a month data plan.

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Schools should be teaching people how to do useful Google searches.

Try searching with :

iphone browser usage
    or
    iphone browser percentage
    or
    iphone sales

and other such meaningful phrases. You'll find your info quickly. Also click the News link in the Google search results to check that way, too.

If this is not what you're looking for, let us know.

4. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I agree, learning how to use a search engine should really be something everyone is taught now from an early age. I mean heck, they used to teach us how to use a card catalog...and I'm only 24, so it's not like it was that long ago!

I bet at least 80% of the people I know have no idea that putting quotation marks around a phrase matches that exact phrase as opposed to each individual word.

Of course, there are lot of computer illiterate people out there. That's why you end up with traffic to your website from googlers who searched for www.yourdomain.com. :rolleyes:

5. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Are you talking about phones? You can get a Blackberry Curve for about $100 with a 2-year AT&T contract. Even without a plan I believe the retail price is $300 - $400.

I think the chart you were talking about might've been on Gizmodo.com, you might want to check there, or crackberry.com.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm certain that if you would have stayed in school, you wouldn't assume that "80% of the people" misuse quotation marks! Using quotation marks to signal irony and coinages is an acceptable way of showing readers that you are using a word or a phrase ironically, therefore enclosing it in quotation marks. "Competitor" denotes that the Blackberry is anything but a competitor, placing emphasis on my earlier statement, "The only threat to the Apple iPhone is the Apple iPhone itself!" Stay in school, don't be a fool. :eek::p

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sorry, extraextra, I was just throwing out a number that probably only makes sense to me. :cool:

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yes, using quotes for match exact phrases in Google (and eBay and other search engines) is a very powerful tool.

9. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

A) I did stay in school. I'm a college graduate (Go Tar Heels). More than I can say about most of America.

2) I was not commenting on your use or anyone else's use of quotations in writing, but rather the lack of knowledge by most people that using quotation marks in search fields matches the exact phrase enclosed by the punctuation. It was a comment on people's lack of search engine knowledge rather than their lack of grammar knowledge. And my 80% figure was a rough estimate based strictly upon people I know. It was by no means an exact science. ;)

D) I agree with you...All of the iPhone "competitors" are yet to impress me. If someone else comes out with something that is clearly better, I will bow down before it, but until then I wouldn't consider buying another phone. :D

EDIT: Sorry to get off topic. In an effort to get back to the OP, you might try some searches for iphone market share or smartphone market share etc.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My apologies. The statement: "The only threat to the Apple iPhone is the Apple iPhone itself!" was actually coined by myself, but I've used it in other posts and a paper or two, but must give credit to Carl Von Clausewitz, since it is his philosophy on the nature of war. Go Bears & Go Tar Heels!