Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shreff86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2015
i went to the Apple Store to pick up a 64gb 6s plus for Verizon I was paying full retail for the phone simply wanted to pick it up and activate it at the house much quicker than hanging around the store for however long. So the apple employee says how about I sell you a unlocked phone so you can use it on any carrier or abroad if you ever need to, so I asked if there was anything different nope just pop in your sim and you're good to go. So I agreed I got home a little bit and looked at the bill they emailed and it says 64gb t-mo on the receipt. I thought he was referring to selling me a sim free phone since I know they started selling them but obviously that isn't the case. My question is will I see any issues using this T-Mobile version on Verizon and if so should I return it for a sim free or Verizon version. I haven't opened the phone to try to activate yet

Thanks for any advice

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
Go back and explain the situation and show the receipt. The unlocked version has more bands and can be used in more places with stronger cellular reception, I believe. Absolutely go with unlocked if you can, especially if you travel.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
i went to the Apple Store to pick up a 64gb 6s plus for Verizon I was paying full retail for the phone simply wanted to pick it up and activate it at the house much quicker than hanging around the store for however long. So the apple employee says how about I sell you a unlocked phone so you can use it on any carrier or abroad if you ever need to, so I asked if there was anything different nope just pop in your sim and you're good to go. So I agreed I got home a little bit and looked at the bill they emailed and it says 64gb t-mo on the receipt. I thought he was referring to selling me a sim free phone since I know they started selling them but obviously that isn't the case. My question is will I see any issues using this T-Mobile version on Verizon and if so should I return it for a sim free or Verizon version. I haven't opened the phone to try to activate yet

Thanks for any advice
Return it and get the SIM free model, it has higher resale value.

shreff86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2015
Thanks everyone I appreciate all the info. I wish they had just given me the Verizon verison at this point since it is a hour and half drive to the store but was afraid this was going to be the case

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.