Looking for info on which MAC OS to use

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by john.rodgers, Nov 6, 2009.

1. john.rodgers macrumors newbie

I have a PowerPC G5 (IBM Processor) (1.1), Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 6.5MB RAM. I am currently running MAC OS 10.4.11. I need to replace the hard drive and would like to move up to a newer OS. From what I read on-line Snow Lepoard will not run on a PowerPC without a major hack. I also looked at Lepoard, but I see postings about it running slow on a PowerPC G5. I am about to upgrade to Final Cut Pro 7 and outside of the OS this will be ablout all that will be on the machine. Any suggestions?

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

well, if you are gonna run FCP7, you dont have a choice

you are gonna need to run Leopard.

10.5.6 minimum.

Also Intel chip minimum.

Looks like a new Mac is in your future.

You could just stay with your current FCP...

3. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Snow Leopard won't run at all on a G5. Unless there's a hack for running Final Cut Pro 7 on a G5 then I'm afraid you are out of luck on that too.

5. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

I suggest leopard. Even if you had an intel machine i'd suggest leopard because it is far more stable at the moment. Lots of people are having problems with SL due to it being new and buggier.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE:
    "I have a PowerPC G5 (IBM Processor) (1.1), Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 6.5MB RAM. I am currently running MAC OS 10.4.11. I need to replace the hard drive and would like to move up to a newer OS. From what I read on-line Snow Lepoard will not run on a PowerPC without a major hack. I also looked at Lepoard, but I see postings about it running slow on a PowerPC G5. I am about to upgrade to Final Cut Pro 7 and outside of the OS this will be ablout all that will be on the machine. Any suggestions?"

Actually, MY suggestion is that you "stay where you are", OS-wise.

10.4.11 will probably run as fast as 10.5.x on the g5, and may use less memory, as well.

Even though the processor may have been made by "IBM", it's still a "PowerPC" CPU and cannot run 10.6 "Snow Leopard" in any way, shape, or form.

And, DON'T "replace" the hard drive. Just ADD a SECOND drive to the g5 tower - there's room for it, all you do is plug it in and initialize it.

You can use something like SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner to "clone" the contents of your older drive onto your newer one. Then you can keep the older drive around as a backup.

It is ALWAYS best to have a second hard drive right there, online, ready-to-go in an emergency.

Final thought: if you add a second drive, then you might consider trying out 10.5.x to see how it works for you. Again, leave the old drive in place and you can always "go back" if things aren't working out as expected....

- John