Looking for input on Dual Hard Drive setup

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kyonn, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Kyonn macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I have a late 2009 27” iMac, the one with the noisy slow Seagate drive that was recalled. Due to a misadventure with Mint Lint I lost the efi and recovery partitions. But I can still boot the OSX and Windows partitions.

Since I the only way to get the efi partition back is to reformat the drive I’m going to use this an excuse to move to the dual hard setup I’ve been thing about for some time. I plan on removing the optical drive and replacing it was a Samsung 840 Pro SSD.

The plan is after installing the 840 I would boot to the Seagate drive and back it up to an external hard drive. Then back up the Windows partition with winclone to my NAS. Install OSX via the mac store to the 840, switch the boot drive to the 840 and then reboot. Restore backups after rebooting.

Anyone see any problems with this plan or have any suggestions they think might work better?

2. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Sounds OK, but...
    An 840 pro is not needed. An MX100 Crucial is fine. You're in 3g bus with the 09, so no need to bother with any top performing SSD. Save money. Install Trim Enabler for the SSD after you set it up with OSX.

3. Kyonn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, will do.

4. Kyonn thread starter macrumors newbie

Just ordered the crucial MX100, and I still have one other question I was wondering if someone could help me with. That being: How best to go about installing Linux on this setup?

I've tried in the past with Mint Linux 16 and it did something the MBR making Windows un-bootable. Trying to fix that issue lead to me loosing the EFI partition. Right now I'm using rEFIt to book my machine, both Windows and OSX boot fine with this method. Ultimately I would like to install all 3 OS' on the MX100 and boot with rEFIt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.