Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lwebb

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2020
Thanks, Wowfunhappy, I think I sent you a PM but not sure as I'm below a novice on this stuff.
I've read on another site that in Mojave under the disk utility I can add a volume. In older days I created partitions and don't want to reformat my HD. Will this new "volume" work?

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Thanks, Wowfunhappy, I think I sent you a PM but not sure as I'm below a novice on this stuff.
I've read on another site that in Mojave under the disk utility I can add a volume. In older days I created partitions and don't want to reformat my HD. Will this new "volume" work?

So, here's the thing—that volume you created is an APFS volume. Mavericks has no concept of APFS, so I'm not sure what it will do, I've never tried it.

Disk Utility still lets you make real partitions rather than volumes, so if you're going to attempt a dual boot, that's the route I would go.

However, please make sure all your data is backed up! This does not make any sense and I cannot explain it, but on two separate occasions, simply viewing an APFS disk with the copy of Disk Utility included in the Mavericks installer seems to have wiped the partition table and destroyed all the existing data on that disk. This absolutely shouldn't be possible, so maybe it was actually something else that did it, but it did happen to me twice.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
And I've replied. There's really no need to post here though just to let me know you sent an email, I'll see the email. :)

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2022
I have a copy of Lion, Mountain Lion, Yosemite, El Capitan, and Sierra for anybody too! Just PM me for one also, and you'll receive one.

I don't use Lion, but when I find a Mac on the street with OS X 10.7.x I will get it and test it. So far, 10.8, 10.10, 10.11, and 10.12 is working. 10.13 or higher requires App Store.

For my protection, I saved my copies on a file on my computer not on my profile. If you want one of a copy, tell me the model name, version or identifier, and I will give you a useful one. If you have a version, (like 10.4.0) let me know also and I can give you the maximum partition within that version. (like 10.4.11)

Last edited:
Reactions: MBAir2010

NickyT

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2023
I found your posting through google, Just curious if you'd be willing to help get a copy :)

DonSpain

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2023
Oslo
Hi, I PM'd you a Mavericks installer DMG I backed up, which you can restore to a USB drive in disk utility. I think that's what you needed if I understood correctly?
Hello to you from Oslo, Norway. Do you happen to have the OS X Server 3.2.2 to be used on top of Mavericks 10.9.5? AppStore or other roads are blocked. Kind Regards

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Hello to you from Oslo, Norway. Do you happen to have the OS X Server 3.2.2 to be used on top of Mavericks 10.9.5? AppStore or other roads are blocked. Kind Regards
I do not at this time. If you can wait until the last week of December (a long time, I realize), and then send me an email reminder, I should be able to source a copy at that time.

DonSpain

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2023
Oslo
I do not at this time. If you can wait until the last week of December (a long time, I realize), and then send me an email reminder, I should be able to source a copy at that time.
Very much appreciated. I will of course try to find something in the meantime. Kind regards

TheShaun666

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2019
I have a Late 2013 Macbook pro as well. As long as your laptop shipped with Mavericks , just use internet recovery mode. Make sure you turn on wifi. Turn off the laptop. Directly after powering on the laptop hold Command+ Option+Shift+R. Whenever the recovery screen comes up select the disk utilty option and erase the HD. Then you should be able to reinstall Mavericks. It worked for me thank god since i use software that needs mavericks.:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.