Looking for: Investment software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ScottR, Jun 21, 2014.

1. ScottR, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014

ScottR macrumors member

Hello. I'm looking for recs for investment software for the Mac. Not personal finance: I'm not looking for something to balance my checkbook, pay bills, or track my expenses and the like. Just something limited to keeping tabs on my current investments (cost basis, current value, dividends, reinvestments, etc.) and for tracking prospective purchases.

As far as I can tell, that doesn't exactly rule out apps like iBank, MoneyDance, SEE, and the like, which don't "not" do some of that, but it's not what they're mainly aimed to do.

So far, mPortfolio and Investoscope seem to do this. Stock + Pro seems to basically be a stock ticker, without also being a portfolio manager--managing current holdings is more important than ticker functions.

Any suggestions?

2. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

I infer that you are looking for portfolio management tools. In my old Windows PC days I tried a number of software apps but found them lacking or labor-intensive. After switching to a Mac these apps were "gone", but I didn't miss them.

About the same time I switched to a Mac, my portfolio (several accounts - IRAs, trust accounts) was consolidated at Vanguard. It turns out that Vanguard's account tools are great! You can aggregate multiple accounts, keeping taxable and retirement account types separate if desired. Info for accounts held at other brokers or institutions can be automatically fetched and combined for viewing and reporting. You can manually type in holdings that are not suitable for online retrieval. The. Portfolio Watch feature is very capable; you can see detailed asset allocation info, cost basis, unrealized LT/ST gains, etc. All of this is done automatically. Except for one-time manually-entered holdings (paper savings bonds, for example), there is no data entry required. There is a "what-if" feature, so you can evaluate for changes to your portfolio.

I eventually came to realize that there was no reason to go elsewhere or to use a separate portfolio management or reporting tool. Vanguard's on-line tools are first-rate, as are its customer service and security features.

For investment research, you can use any number of online sources. Morningstar is a good example, plus old standbys like Value Line, available free through many libraries.

Don't make this harder than it has to be. I wish I had switched everything over to Vanguard 10 years sooner.

3. ScottR thread starter macrumors member

4. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

Just curious, why no on-line tools? Security concern? No net access where you need it? I may be missing something, but it would seem to be hard to get good analysis without real-time (or at least very recent) data without a lot of manual data entry.

5. ForumGhost macrumors newbie