Looking for iOS programming tutorial/book for a child.

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by phr0ze, Jul 10, 2012.

1. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

I have some good books, but when I take a step back from them I realize a lot of the language in them is more sophisticated than I would like and introduce too many 'new' terms at once.

I'm looking for something for a child or for someone who doesn't have quite the breadth of knowledge or require such a depth of inner workings.

I'd really like to get my son started without scaring him off too quickly.

Thanks

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Does he know any other programming? If so, what?

3. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Isn't it better to get him into some easy scripting language as a starters (no idea, i'm just putting idea's out there), like LUA or so, so he can do some stuff.. So he doesn't get scared off by the MVC patterns etc (which I had). Then slowly on get him into something more, like HTML, and eventually into OOP?
    Just an idea that popped into my head.

Greets, Thijs

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

This sounds like a case of ageism at its worst.

All you need to make iOS apps is, first, you need to know the basics of C. If you don't, google Learn C The Hard Way. It's a free ebook. It's 50+ chapters long but I think it covers a lot of obscure stuff you don't need to know. Teach the first 18 of so exercise/chapters from the book.

Once you know enough C, move onto Stanford's free iOS programming lectures on iTunes U.

And because it seems that most kids want to do games, I'll just throw out a few names of things to look into:
    Ogre 3D (you'll need to learn C++ first to use this. I haven't yet found a good free resource for learning it - I learned it in school.)
    Blender (a free 3D graphics programs. I used a free book on wikibook to learn how to use it. I use it to make models for my 3D game, then use Ogre to display them.)
    Cocos2D (not something I personally use, but I hear a lot of people suggest it for 2D games. It's free. I think Ray Wenderlich's website has a lot of tutorials covering using it.)
    GIMP (I hear it's a good free 2D graphics program. I think I'll be using it to give my 3D models textures.)

5. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Don't get them started with iOS stuff right away. I've discussed this a few times with co-workers and my current suggestion would be this course: https://www.coursera.org/course/cs101 (click preview you can see all the videos) and then this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hello-World-Computer-Programming-Beginners/dp/1933988495/

6. vonbaron macrumors newbie

Try Alice. It is designed to teach kids using a drag and drop interface.

http://alice.org/

7. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

T.T May as well just show your child StarCraft II's map editor*. Wooo, scripting.

*Disclaimer: I've hardly even opened the editor. I know WarCraft III's editor used scripting for a lot of logic, I forget what language, and I assume that with SCII's editor being more flexible/powerful, it probably relies on scripting even more.

Scripting is not programming. Stop kidding around. C or bust. (Refer to my previous post for learning C.)

8. firewood macrumors 604

There used to be dozens and dozens of books on programming for young kids, mostly in Basic or Logo. Sadly, most of them are out of print. Perhaps an visiting a large used bookstore might help.

There might be a easy book on learning Python; and I think Python comes with all new Macs. Or perhaps these kinds of web sites: http://blogs.computerworld.com/1513...programming_for_kids_adults_and_everyone_else

C will scare off any normal young child. So just ignore those suggestions.

9. Nick johnson macrumors newbie

Does he know any programming languages???????
    basic languages like HTML or basics of C..
    If yes, then you must go for iphone development or else first teach him these basic languages and then go for iphone development....

10. phr0ze thread starter macrumors 6502a

Although I had email notifications turned on for this thread, none of them came through.

Thanks for the suggestions of programming on other platforms and languages. However if he can't feel it, hold it, touch it, I really don't see what will keep his interest.

Right now his ipad is relavent in his life. The only way I see him being interested and self driven is if it's something he can do for his ipad and obtain a near instant gratification.

I guess the only solution is to give him a prewritten project and show him how to change a few things. Then let him figure things out from there.

John

----------

Thank you. Best answer so far.

11. ahan.tm macrumors regular

12. firewood macrumors 604

There are iOS apps that are Lua, Basic, Scheme and JavaScript programming language interpreters. A child might be able to start there on the general idea of coding. Also Python or HTML/Javascript on the Mac itself. Then there are app generator sites, such as buzztouch, where they can get an idea of what goes into making an app besides just the code. Easy steps that aren't too scary.