Looking for iphone 5 car mount that charges and has audio out

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by stevelam, Apr 6, 2014.

1. stevelam macrumors 65816

I'm looking for a car mount that charges my iphone 5 and allows me to play audio through my line-in option on my car.

So far the only all-in-one solution I've found seems to be the belkin tunebase aux:

[​IMG]

Is there anything else out there thats similar in terms of features?

2. Adonys macrumors regular

sorry not much of a help here but This is what I use/have and it has serve it purpose. the fact that it charges it at the same time makes it perfect for my need.

3. meistervu macrumors 65816

Yes, Belkin's is the only one that I found so far.

My problem is different than yours. I have a JVC stereo that I can connect to my iPhone with a USB-Lightning cable and it is able to process the digital signal from the iPhone, so while the stereo does have an aux in, aux connection is not necessary.

When I thought more about it, what I want from the dock is an USB out that carries digital signal and power for charging. I also wanted to place the phone higher up at the top of the dashboard for safer navigation (less time taking eyes off the road).

So while I love the idea of a dock, a better solution for me is a mount like this one I just picked up, and a separate plug in Lighting cable:

[​IMG]

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Does it have to be all-in-one? If not, you can pair the ProClip pass through mount with whatever cable solution you prefer. I've used it with the PAC IS75 in a couple of my vehicles.

5. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I find it a bit frustrating how a cable or device doesn't exist that has a Lightning connector on the phone end and a 3.5mm line level and USB at the other end. Apple's Dock has this functionality (when you add a Lightning-to-USB cable), but is obviously incompatible with car mounts and cases.

Right now I'm using a Lightning->30 pin adapter cable and a cheap Y cable (30 pin at one end, USB and 3.5mm line level on the other), but it seems all of the ones on Amazon and eBay fall apart after a few months. I'm chalking it up to cheap cables and not abuse since many of my Apple/Belkin/Monoprice cables have held up well.

I know I could use a 3.5mm cable from the headphone jack to my car's aux input and a normal Lightning-to-USB cable for charging, but I've been a bit spoiled with one cable all the way back from the days I was using an iPod.

6. meistervu macrumors 65816

I bought a JVC car stereo recently. It's an old model, probably 2013 if not 2012. I can get power and line level using a USB-Lighting cable. Granted, sometimes it has trouble reading the iPhone and requires a unplug/replug routine, but when it does, it works well.

7. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

If it's solely USB, I'm guessing that it's actually sending a digital audio signal - some of the speaker docks work this way, too. Without one of the Lightning-to-30-pin Adapters and the electronics in the adapter itself, the Lightning connector doesn't carry an analog line-level audio signal like the old 30-pin connector did.

If I was in the market to replace the stereo with an aftermarket one, I'd definitely pick up something with USB onboard, but I have a factory unit and external amp that I'm pretty happy with, other than it giving me a 3.5mm aux jack as the only option for an iPhone.