Looking for iPhone Car Holder

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tardman91, Jun 14, 2012.

1. tardman91, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I'm looking for a holder for my iPhone 4s for the car where the bottom plugs into the cigarette lighter, and then from there it has an adjustable arm like the ones on the cup holder stands, and the iPhone plugs in at the end. That way there are no other wires and junk to get in the way. Does anyone make something like that? I've seen a couple fm transmitters like that, but I don't need the transmitter.
    Kind of like this, but one that wouldn't require an additional cable to charge the phone.
    [​IMG]

2. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

Griffin TuneFlex Aux
    http://store.griffintechnology.com/tuneflex-aux-handsfree
    [​IMG]

Although, the model from 4 years ago worked best, since the audio was sent line-out through the 30-pin:
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=6090-5GTFLXAUX&d=Griffin-6090-5GTFLXAUX-TuneFlex-AUX-for-iPod-with-Dock-(60905GTFLXAUX)&sku=685387060900&utm_campaign=base&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_base
    [​IMG]

I have both, the build of the earlier model was better, in my opinion...

3. tardman91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tardman91

That TuneFlex Aux looks like what I want. I'd use it without the aux cable though. I mainly want it to charge the phone while I use the turn by turn navigation in iOS 6!

4. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

If you are really concerned about wires and have a little money to spend look into a DICE kit with a proclip mount and plate. Here's an old pic in my car:

[​IMG]

One wire that hides behind the dash. It charges and plays direct out to the stereo. The dock allows you to just drop it in without messing with wires. I control the tracks with my radio or steering wheel controls. No terrible sounding FM transmitters. If you don't already have bluetooth a2dp in your car then this is the next best setup.

5. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

6. treeoflife macrumors member

Nice setup you got there!

7. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Thx!

8. tardman91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Those are sweet, but they don't make one for my model Golf. :mad:
    That's a real neat idea.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Considering the product that the OP is considering, I wouldn't recommend any ProClip options (budget).

10. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

maybe he just doesn't know there are actually better options out there?

11. tardman91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tardman91

No, I know all about the ProClip, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I blow about $70 on. I'm looking for something I can get for about $20. I like that TuneFlex Aux but am trying to find one under $20 since I don't really plan on using the aux cable.

12. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

I've got this, however, i only see the FM transmitter version in stores now.

http://www.belkin.com/au/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=496746

I'm now using it as a dedicated mount for my 3rd Gen Nano, as i don't use my iPhone for music.

It's pretty good for my purposes. You plug your own aux cable into the base of the unit, and then there's a small aux cable on the mount that you plug into the ipod/iphone. It cuts down on cable clutter. Plus there's a usb port so plug in another cable if needed.