Looking for iPod touch 3G car charger/line out

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by fernande-mac, Sep 13, 2009.

1. fernande-mac macrumors regular

I am planning to get an iPod touch 3rd gen 32 GB or 64 GB.

Based on some discussions about the sound quality of the newer iPods in another thread, I would like to get a line out cable that also provides charging capabilities with the car cigarette lighter.

I have been able to find many high-quality line out cables and many car chargers, but not a single one that is combined.

I have one for my 3rd gen iPod 40 GB. So, I am pretty sure there should be one for the latest iPod touch.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. fernande-mac thread starter macrumors regular

Well, after a lot of searching, it seems Griffin has some solutions.

This product has exactly what I am looking for.

Now that you have an idea, do you know of other companies or products?

Thanks!

3. mpb2000 macrumors regular

I'm not a big fan of the griffin product. I've never used it, I just don't like the way it it set up. I don't want controls down by the cigarette lighter. I'm deciding between these two options:

http://www.sik.com/pimp.php

http://us.kensington.com/html/14492.html

The Kensington product can be found on amazon for ~$30, so there's a big price difference. It also has a remote, which is nice, but I use ProClip car mounts so it's not a big deal for me personally. The only problem with the Kensington is you MUST plug it into the cigarette lighter to use the line out option. This creates the potential for noise from your car engine getting into the speakers due to grounding problems. You can get around this with a ground loop isolator, which Kensington will supposedly supply for free. With the Sik Pimp, you do not have to plug the charging portion in. This also allows you to plug in something like a GPS that is more likely to need power. There are splitters for cigarette lighters, so, again, you can get around this. I haven't decided myself, but I had a Sik Imp (same as the Pimp only firewire) for my last two ipods and it has been great. The only thing that's holding me back from the Kensington is how well the ground loop isolator works. I've never used one, so I don't know if it gets rid of the noise completely. Anyone have comments on that?

4. fernande-mac thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I agree. It is a rather odd location for the controls. Specially considering that most cigarette lighters are not really in the most comfortable location when you are driving.

Thanks for the links. Out of the two, I like the Kensington product better because of the remote. Trying to handle the iPod touch while you are driving will be an adventure without hard playback controls.

I have been using a Belkin car charger/line out cable for many year for my legacy iPod and I have never heard any noise coming from the engine. If it happens, it can be the cables or the isolation of the AUX port in the car. However, if they provide a ground loop isolator, I don't see why it would not work.

5. BUFFBOY macrumors regular

hey, iv try to order this SiK pimp - Car Charger with Line-out Audio for iPod but they wont ship to Australia.. wtf ???

how do i get it ? amazon wont ship here..

6. Stier macrumors member

i have the Kensington LiquidAUX (paired with the Pro Clip Mount) and i have had the noise problem in my car and i never knew anything about the ground loop isolator cable but i'll try the cable out now

i want to try this Sik product anyone have any pics of this thing in action