Looking for keyboard recommendations for MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by qveda, May 25, 2009.

1. qveda macrumors regular

I'm using my MacPro with dual displays. other than web and email, I use Photoshop and Lightroom for working with photographic images.

I have the very nice looking Mac keyboard (USB with numeric pad). Very cool looking, but I don't feel that I can type as well on it as I can on my other non-mac computers (laptop or desktop) , I tend to make more typos on it.

I find that I don't use the numeric key pads or the special keys very often, so may not need them on a new keyboard. A smaller keyboard might leave more deskspace for a Wacom tablet that I'm also considering.

Can anyone recommend a keyboard that they like?

2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Personally, the best keyboard was the old "Pro" keyboard. I recently scored 5 of them on ebay. Should keep me going for the next 20 years or so. :D Maybe by then Apple can make another decent keyboard, I can't stand the thin one...

3. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

I love the design of the thin Apple keyboard, but yeah, I can't seem to type as fast on it. Dell keyboards always seem decent enough for the money, no frills, but suit my typing well enough.

4. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I recently bought a used "Early 2008" mac pro and I want another keyboard identical to the one that came with it (so awesome).

When you say "old" Pro keyboard, so you mean the one I have? I.e., is there a new, different aluminum keyboard?

5. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I recently bought the Logitech diNovo Edge Mac Edition keyboard, it's an awesome keyboard, and I found it for $99 with free shipping, if you'd like the link to where I got it at I'll give it to you, but it's the best keyboard I've ever used, it replaced a Apple Wireless Keyboard, I love it!

6. Jarman74 macrumors regular

Jarman74

The Das Keyboard Ultimate (blank-key model) is the only keyboard I have & will ever need!

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The previous Apple Wireless Keyboard was the best imo. Fantastic to type on and the batteries last for yonks. Why Apple decided that Pro users would either not ever use numpads or would never want to lean back in their chair and take their keyboards with them, I'll never know.

8. sjivan macrumors member

I like the Macally IceKey. I got rid of the one that came with my 2009 Mac Pro and much prefer the Macally Icekey.

9. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I have an extra old "Pro" keyboard from the previous generation mac pro. I'd trade you straight up for the aluminum keyboard. Let me know.

10. Shazaam! macrumors member

Shazaam!

Matias Tactile Pro Keyboard

Attached Files:

11. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm... over $100. does it feel really great to type on it ? I suppose it looks greally cool, but are there times when I think I'd wish there was printing on the keys .

the Professional (with the printed keys) appears to have the PC printing vs Mac, Was there any problem with any of the keys functioning the way you'd expect?

The Matias Tactile Pro looks like an interesting alternative - also spendy.

I bet I'd prefer either of these to the aluminum mac pro keyboard that I have now.

12. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

The aluminum ones don't even come close...

Attached Files:

13. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

I now use the Logitech diNovo Mac Edition. Personally, I prefer it to the edge. The 10 key numberpad is very helpful for data entry; I also never used the touchpad of the Edge. It's a toss up between the two otherwise because they have the same response and tactile feel. The only other difference is that the Edge is bluetooth with a charger and the diNovo wireless with batteries.

14. Jarman74 macrumors regular

Jarman74

Yes! Of course this is a very subjective matter, but you can find some videos of Mac owners who use this keyboard on YouTube.

No problems whatsoever.

15. grue macrumors 65816