Looking for Laser Multifunction Printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ebook, May 9, 2012.

1. ebook macrumors 6502

I'm going crazy reading reviews online and searching for just the right multifunction printer. So, I thought I would just check here and see if there is a particular one that people have had success with. Here are some of the things I would like it to have.

-Auto duplexing
    -Scan, copy, fax
    -Airprint capability or something like that
    -Color is a plus, but not needed (I don't use color often)
    -Wireless printing would be okay, but not needed
    -Lowest cost toner possible (don't want to be killed on toner, but want a good unit at the same time)

Any suggestions? I've checked out Brother, Canon, Epson (looks like ink only), and HP.

2. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

I've done a bit of research ... any thoughts on these printers:

Epson WorkForce Pro WP-4540 - Not a laser printer, but seems to get decent reviews even though it is pretty big.

HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf - Laser, but not color ... it does automatic duplex though and AirPrint.

Brother MFC-9325CW - Color laser, wireless, some sort of printing from iPad, but no auto-duplexing

3. PMaggan macrumors newbie

Neither printer is color, but I have had great luck with my Brother MFC-8890DW for the past 2 years. I also just bought a Lexmark x464de (day 2) for my office and it seems to work really well also. I love the LCD screen on this one and Airprint worked fine today from my iPhone.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Check Ebay for toner cartridges and/or refills for the models you're considering. I can refill my old Samsung b/w laser printer for about $12.

5. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I have the HP-1536. It's great. I love the duplex function. Airprint works great. The copy function works great. I haven't tried scanning, but I assume it works great.

Here's the thing about this device. In the US, the MSRP was $300. Now, it's $330. It's rare that any tech device gets bumped up in price. I've only ever had one device that went up in price after the intro ... my trusty TI-68 scientific calculator.

Anyways, if you live near a Staples, they often run a $50 sale on this printer. Many times, this printer qualifies for an additional $50 off if you recycle a printer (any old beatup printer will qualify). I got my 1536 for $200, this way.

Keep in mind, the Staples circular rarely shows the HP1536 as qualifying for the $50 printer recycling bonus, but if you go into the store, they typically have additional printers that qualify ... so you may have to go to check it out.

ft

6. Razor478, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

Razor478 macrumors newbie

MFP Color Laser

No clear "winner" on Internet.

Brother-->economical, but hit or miss long term, personal experience w/ their products supports this.

Dell-->seem solid, but cost to purchase & maintain high.

Sharp-->seems solid, but not a lot of reviews.

LexMark-->new model CX4xx seems promising, but from China, fair price, toner reasonable, covers all facets, & apparently has $50 wireless adapter under development...not mainstream (Staples, etc) so may need to check out specialty office printer stores locally...heavy, HxWxD & weight drawbacks. Energy Star efficient.

HP-->inkjet arena seems better than laser division, abandoned laser version for Canon. Black print not as solid.

Canon--> currently own MFP 4690 (monochrome)...seems solid alternative, but a little bulky/heavy, & big on power consumption...however, if mine did color, would be satisfied.

Ricoh/Xerox-->probably left for the medium to large business...more economical brands available.

7. PlasmaGun57 macrumors newbie