Looking for Mac Backup App Suggestion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by abeckstrom, Oct 10, 2008.

1. abeckstrom macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm looking for software recommendations for running incremental backups from my Mac to a USB hard drive. I'm not interested in full disk cloning (a la SuperDuper!), but rather something I can use to specify which folders/files get backed up and then one that only backups the most recent changes each time.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

iBackup
    TimeMachine
    SilverKeeper
    Retrospect Backup
    CarbonCopyCloner (it has an option for specific folders)
    SuperDuper (I believe it also as an option for specific folders)

3. boast macrumors 65816

boast

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Time Machine is ideal. If you don't have 10.5 then I say ChronoSync. It's pretty great and much easier than RSync.

5. abeckstrom thread starter macrumors newbie

This is for my wife's iMac running Tiger, so unfortunately, TimeMachine is out of the question. Do the other apps you mentioned perform incremental backups, or do they do a full backup each time? I don't want to waste time doing full disk backups each time to try them out.

Thanks again!

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I use iBackup for my incremental. I am sure you get get it from Apple if you do the MM trial.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I know Carbon Copy Cloner can do incremental backups.

However, I've only used used it to clone the entire HD and have not tried the incremental backup function. Although I would expect it to work well based upon my cloning experiences.

8. jywv8 macrumors 6502

ChronoSync

I use ChronoSync, because I don't want a full-on clone or all the Time Machine wing-dings. Took a bit of time to figure out, but, once you set up a script, you're good to go.

9. esalem macrumors newbie

I use SilverKeeper and think it works just great. I do it all manually, select what gets backed up and when. It is fast and easy to use.

10. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Backup is perfect for incremental stuff. I use Time Machine for everything and then use Backup once a day for my address book, ical, and mail. It might seem redundant but oh well. Can't afford to lose my contacts and ical.