Looking for Mac Pro setup advice

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by stridor, Nov 26, 2008.

1. stridor macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I just received my brand new Pimped out mac pro. :cool: I ordered it with 4x1TB HDD's in a software RAID 10 configuration. My primary reason for having realtime backup is for my photography, music, and video's that I create. I also have external drives that I plan to use time machine to weekly backups.

Now I'm starting to question this setup.

The pluses: It provides additional disk speeds useful when working with HD video, and it duplicates all of my data in case of a HDD failure.

The negatives: I lose 2TB of disk space. I can't run bootcamp to dual boot into windows.

So I was thinking of using disk 1 for apps and as my boot drive for OSX and XP, Disk 2+3 in a RAID 0 config for speed mainly for video editing. And using Disk 4 for music and photography. I was then planning on using my external MyBook Pro I have in a RAID 1 setup for backup every other day or so with Time Machine. In your opinion, does this setup seem more functional than my current RAID 10? And do you see in major negatives?

Thanks

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Well here is what I got and I like it a lot.

2 X 150G WD 10k Raptors, RAID0 - System drive/scratch disc.
    2 X 500G Seagates, RAID0 - Audio drive, both Logic seasons and iTunes
    1 2T G-Force RAID2 external drive - Time machine.

It works great when working with audio and also with Aperture.

3. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Here's what I got:

Internal Drives
    • 1 x 500 GB HD - main boot drive with Tiger + Leopard
    • 1 x 500 GB HD - Boot Camp drive with 2 partitions, one for Windows XP, and one for transferring files
    • 2 x 1 TB HD RAID 1 - For editing videos + compositions

External Drives (using extra internal SATA ports with eSATA bracket)

• 2 X 1 TB HD RAID 1 - Used for storing video footage imported from video shoots

I find this setup very useful, since I have one RAID 1 array used to edit videos (rendering files), and one RAID 1 array used to stream footage (read footage from this array to speed up rendering). I noticed a boost of speed, since it doesn't have to read + write when rendering file from the same array or drive. AND, I can easily swap the array out when needed. Speedy! :D