Looking for MacBook Pro buying advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidinva, Jun 18, 2013.

1. davidinva macrumors 6502a

I have a early 2008 MacBook (with 10.6.8) that I use for both my desktop (with an external monitor and keyboard and mouse) and take with me when I travel. The MB still works fine and my main uses are email, internet, photo editing, and family history research (mostly internet these days). The MB won't support any OS X beyond Lion and more software is requiring 10.7 or later.

My options are to buy a new MacBook Pro (which one?), a refurb (which one?) or through my nephew a 2011 MacBook Pro from his company. (His co. allows him to purchase replaced Macs for family members.) The one through the nephew would cost only about $700, so that is tempting. No warranty though.

Suggestions?

2. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

How heavy photo editing? How much time do you use the external monitor vs the display on the laptop?

3. davidinva thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not heavy editing, but I have a large photo collection (with two external backups). Use Photoshop Elements 11, some of the JixiPix apps, and some specialty app. Do most all editing on the external display. Use external display only when at home. Like to have a external keyboard and mouse and use a mouse backup hard drive when traveling.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Get a 15" rMBP you will be ok. Why? you will need a large screen display to work with photoshop element and other apps. If you want cheap one, look out for refurb rMBP and cMBP with 15" screen size. :apple:

Do you by the chance live near Roanoke? :)