Looking for MB.Pr Advice: Waiting or Impulse Buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MeowForMe, May 12, 2014.

1. MeowForMe macrumors newbie

I currently own a iMac 2011 model and it's been treating me pretty well. However during my last year of High School my school is offering an education discount for students (better discounts than Apple Education Discount)

These are the computer models I'm interested in and have the option of purchasing.

Macbook Pro 15" with Retina Display
    Intel Quad-core 2.3 GHz Core i7/16 GB DDR3 RAM/512 GB Flash Storage/Geoforce GT 750 M with 2 GB GDDRS/Bluetooth 4.0/802.11ac wireless/Facetime HD camera/Aluminium
    17,840 Hong Kong Dollar ~ 2,301.48 US Dollar

and

Macbook Pro 15" with Retina Display
    Intel Quad-core 2.0 GHz Core i7/8GB DDR3 Ram/256GB Flash Storage/Intel Iris Graphics/Bluetooth 4.0/802.11ac wireless/Facetime HD camera/Aluminium
    13,980 Hong Kong Dollar ~ 1,803.50 US Dollar

The only reason I'm considering this is because the price discount seems pretty generous but my real question is. Not knowing much about Macbook Pros or Macs in general, should I wait for the Macbook Pros in 2015 or just go ahead and buy either one of these models.

Will there be a huge update (not a follower of WWDC [?]), etc.

I can wait, but just looking for consumer advice.

Thank you.
    ---
    TL;DR : Should I buy school education discounted Macbook Pros or wait until 2015 when I actually graduate and buy a Macbook Pro then (that will hopefully be a new model)?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Broadwell isn't coming to rMBPs this year.

I'd expect nothing more than a slight processor bump for the rMBPs during WWDC (probably just a 0.1-0.2GHz speed increase).

The GT750M model is far more capable as it's got 16GB RAM and the GT750M card. Contrary to what people says, the GT750M model actually runs cooler than the Iris-only model, because tasks are spread out across two chips instead of just one chip.

The GT750M is still a pretty good card. I can play Battlefield 4 at 1680x1050, mix of high and ultra, FXAA and 16xAF and still get an average of 47-50 fps. Lowest was 35 fps and easily went all the way past 60 fps in quite a number of situations. It's a pretty good card.

Keep in mind that when you pay more for the model with dGPU, you're not only getting a GPU upgrade, you're also getting a processor upgrade, twice the RAM and twice the SSD.

Also, when both Iris-only and Iris+750M models are configured to 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD, they both cost exactly the same, so the 750M is practically a free add-on.

2015 will bring Broadwell and, more importantly, NVIDIA Maxwell. Maxwell will be a huge performance improvement over the current Kepler cards.

If you can wait, wait for 2015.