Looking for MBPr clear matte skin protector

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DonutHands, Mar 25, 2014.

1. DonutHands macrumors regular

DonutHands

New MacBook Pro Retina 13 just arrived.
    This time around i am going to put a protective skin on the thing to prevent superficial scratches on the body. I am only considering clear matte skins and the only one i have found so far is from bestskinsever

any other suggestions?

2. DonutHands thread starter macrumors regular

DonutHands

3. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

4. MacCheeseLai macrumors member

MacCheeseLai

Try decal girl skins, I just got a beautiful one for my MBP.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I don't have any other suggestions but do highly recommend the BSE one. I have it on my 13" retina and it's terrific (and a nice price).

6. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I second this recommendation. The Decal Girl stuff looks amazing, and it definitely worth the money.

7. tmoerel macrumors 6502

Well.... are you sure you want to put a protective skin around it????

A rMBP is made from aluminium and this aluminium acts as a heatsink. This is part of what they call the 'Thermal Formula' of the rMBP. That means that if you put a skin around it, it will have less capability to radiate the internal heat away.

This means that the fan will have to work harder and the electronics get hotter than designed. This can severely shorten the life of the electronics and in the long run it can damage the logic board. This is NOT GOOD!!

The better solution is to protect your rMBP in transport but the leave it naked when in use.

Many people here will tell you that adding a skin is no problem and that their machine is working perfectly. But they don't take the long term into account!!!

8. NocturnalJazz macrumors regular

Just do slickwraps brushed silver. It's pretty close to color, and looks good. Easy to install, only $50

9. DonutHands thread starter macrumors regular

DonutHands

Sounds like im going with bestskinsever. I cant find any other option anyways. I requested an inch square sample to test out. Should be here in a day.

10. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

This is actually inaccurate. Neither skins nor the Speck cases act as insulators, therefore heat can still dissipate from the machines. The only way the above post could be accurate would be if these skin/cases somehow prevented the escape of heat or blocked airflow (which they don't). If you run a system monitor to look at temps with and without a case/skin on the machine, you will see no appreciable difference in temps because of how efficiently the ventilation systems are on these Macs. Also, neither skins nor hard cases block the ventilation ports, so airflow inside the case is unaffected. The aluminum body can help get rid of heat, but it is not the main function of the body - that's what the internal fans and ventilation system are for.

11. tmoerel macrumors 6502

I am not talking about ventilation but straight heat radiation. It is the same as when a human wears clothes. This limits the thermal exchange between skin and air. In the case of a mac the skin insulates the aluminium limiting the heat exchange between metal and air. So yes it will run warmer.

Thermodynamics 101