Looking for network solution to iTunes limitations

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by talino, Nov 19, 2011.

1. talino macrumors member

Hi,

I'm trying to find an alternative to iTunes (music only), in order to be able to listen to, as well as import, files from several connected Macs into a single centralized location.

Currently my iTunes library is on an iMac, but if I want to import a CD when I'm on my Mac Pro I have start screen-sharing, folder hunting, etc. Moreover, when the iMac is down or iTunes is closed, the entire network can't play anything until the app is relaunched remotely.

The iTunes server on my Qnap NAS is very basic, no import, no playlists, no album art.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. talino thread starter macrumors member

3. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

4. talino thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Both are impractical with the size of my music library, but anyway I'm not looking for a *cloud* solution, but rather a *LAN* solution, where multiple Macs can edit the library simultaneously without messing up the database.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I know you say you aren't looking for a cloud solution, but I want to make sure you aren't dismissing iTunes Match without understanding what it is, because Match is pretty much designed to do exactly what you want. Once enabled, it will allow you to work with your iTunes library from multiple locations while keeping them all in sync. Content can be streamed to additional computers without needing to have a computer left on.

6. talino thread starter macrumors member

Thanks zhenya, but my reliance on Apple's garden has reached a certain limit :) I really don't need Apple holding a list of everything I have in my music collection, too. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but the Cloud, the Apple way, isn't my cup of tea. I was hoping that something such as Songbird, or an open-source effort, was available with network-ready support.

Guess I'll keep screen-sharing.

Thanks.

7. interrobang macrumors 6502

You don't need to use screen sharing, just file sharing. You could share your "Automatically add to iTunes" folder from the computer with your main library.

For more control, create a shared folder and add a Folder Action to watch it for music files, filter them, and add them to the playlist(s) you'd like.

8. talino thread starter macrumors member

I don't think that'd be a complete solution since adding artwork, rating & renaming would still need to be done on the "main" Mac. But just out of curiosity, where is the "Automatically add to iTunes" option?